Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Feed Problem Question (Read 2723 times)
bote
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Feed Problem Question
Jan 29th, 2018 at 1:06am
Print Post  
My model 1892 jams, usually on the second round.  I try to work up light loads for 200 yards and under to reduce recoil.  I shoot a lot of 125 grain flat based spritzer points in 308 and 30-06.  I loaded some for my Krags and they grouped well but jammed occasionally.  I figured it was the pointed bullet but I loaded some 150 grain RNs with an OAL of 2.8 and they did the same thing today.  The ejector locks up.  If I open the feed door and move the rounds back and forth it eventually feeds.  This rifle has no cutoff as it's fitted with a Redfield no-drill.  Perhaps that is the problem.  My club has monthly 100 yard "fun vintage" matches and this is my bolt gun.  This problem makes the rapid fire frustrating.  Any ideas?

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Feed Problem Question
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 2:16am
Print Post  
Some rifles require you to make a shaft like the cut off shaft so that the rims don't snag in the slot in the upper part of the magazine.  A friend of mine used drill rod. 92s generally feed spitzers better than later models.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Madsen's thought on the rims catching on the cutoff area has been discussed often so I was trying to think of something else. Just in case you missed it Butlers Rangers said something about filling the cutoff lever hole with a nail filed to duplicate the end of the original cutoff then fixing that in the hole, maybe with low strength Loctite.
The other thing I thought of is with the short spitzer the cartridge is trying to enter the chamber at too steep an angle.
If so maybe adding a little hard silver solder or brazing to the inside of the side plate on the area that the rim touches as the bullet is starting into the chamber. If this is a solution, then the rear area of the build up will need to be very smooth so the rim glides over the build up.
If this idea can not possibly work let me know and I will delete the post so as not to cause confusion in the future.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
'bote' - You said your "ejector locks up". This should not happen.

Did you mean "ejector", or possibly, you meant "extractor"?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
'bote' - Does your Krag have a model 1892 side-plate or has it been changed to a model 1896 side-plate?

I have no direct experience with the 1892 plate, but, others have said the early plate was more tolerant in feeding reloads with spitzer & pointed bullets.

Does this action feed 180 and 220 grain RN loads 'OK'?

IP Logged

bote
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Sorry for the late reply but this is the second week I've been home this year.  Loaded some 220 grain Hornady RN and the problem mostly went away.  Only one jam per magazine about every other time.  It is the ejector that locks and prevents the round from advancing.  If I remove the round and reload a couple times it usually works.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
It's possible that the ejector pin is broken.  One of my Norwegians has that problem, and it does lock up a bit sometimes.  I've not messed with it, some of the Norwegian pins are really locked in there!  The pin is broken, but you can't pull the ejector out.  It will sometimes go forward enough to stop forward movement of the bolt.  Despite that movement, still won't come out of there! Of course now that I said that, I picked it up and it's working just fine.  The rear of the ejector can bind where it pushes against the bolt to flip up too.

IP Logged

bote
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
I'm going to take her with me on one of my trips and do some inspection and disassembly.  She is my first and favorite Krag.  I bought her from an estate in Maine.  The deceased had gotten the rifle from his grandfather who got it from the DCM for something like $2.  The barrel was cut to 27" and it has Redfield no-drill sights.  The rifle has a lot of handling wear but the bore is excellent.  The estate administrator was the nephew of the deceased and he said the rifle had been in that form for over a hundred years.  Said his uncle killed many moose with it.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
It sounds like a fun Krag to take on trips. It would be wise to purchase a spare ejector and pin. Those parts show up often on eBay and fairly cheap.

You could easily test the spare to see if it improves your feed problem.

I believe later ejector and pin types work on a model 1892 receiver.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint