Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 30-40 Krag rebuild, NEED HELP! (Read 5453 times)
Sniper338
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

30-40 Krag rebuild, NEED HELP!
Feb 5th, 2018 at 5:51am
Print Post  
Hi guy, new guy here.  Not new to firearms though.

I recently aquired my grandfathers 30-40 Krag.  I wish it was, but its not in great shape...  He chopped the barrel when he messed up the crown, broke the stock, pipe clamps holding it together, he drilled and tapped the receiver for a scope mount...  he hunted it it for years.

I want to rebuild it...  I have it all taken apart, I just cant get the barrel off, I dont have the right receiver tool, and I suspect it will need heated, and or a releif cut to get the barrel off...   I want to get it all refinished, blasted, re blued, new barrel and stock..  Id like to get the holes in the receiver filled and made back original looking, new upgraded condition..  iron sights and all...

I dont know where to go, who to talk to or much about sourcing parts for this gun...  looking for help to turn this old thing back into a new, old original looking gun.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 30-40 Krag rebuild, NEED HELP!
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
First off welcome to the forum.
Before you start working on your grandfather's Krag I would recommend hanging around here for a while and going back through some of the older threads.
Second, I do not think heat would help removing any Krag barrel. They butt up against the internal stop in the action, and I do not think you will find any that will take any kind of cheater or real torque to remove. Heat can damage things so I would not do it.
I have seen some sporterized Krags that looked nice with bluing, but original Krag actions were not blue and a restoration with blue does not look right.
  Others that are more into collecting will comment on the wisdom of trying to restore something that needs so much work. If it is a bucket list thing for you maybe, but I have my doubts as to whether it would be monetarily a good thing.
Personally I think it might be a better goal to get it back to a hunting condition. Hunting with a Krag will make you smile.
If the scope mounts line up, a good low power scope might be the ticket.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Forget whatever you know about a relief cut too, we're not talking about Enfield barrels.  All it takes is a pipe vise padded with some aluminum shims and a wrench you can  tightly clamp on the receiver, also equipped with aluminum shims.  You shouldn't need either heat or any sort of cut.  A bit of penetrating oil might be helpful.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
'Sniper338' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. You have been given good advice by 'madsenshooter' and 'FredC'.

If you post some nice clear/close-up pictures of your 'family heirloom' Krag, you will get further suggestions, guidance, and assessments.

IP Logged

Sniper338
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the post so far.  I got ahold of someone thats pretty good at rebuilding these, ends up we live close to each other too...  barrel sounds like it wont be as bad as I thought..  I just have a barrel vice,  no receiver tool for this action...

Here comes pics...  BEWARE, its gonna throw you all for a loop lol.  Yes, it used to be a rifle, 30 inch barrel, long stock..  it got chopped off...  and its a carbine receiver???  lots of weird things...

IP Logged

Sniper338
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
pic 2

IP Logged

Sniper338
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
pic 3

IP Logged

Sniper338
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
pic 4

IP Logged

Sniper338
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
pic 5

IP Logged

Sniper338
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
pic 6

IP Logged

Sniper338
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
352831 is the serial number.. hard to make out...

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Were the clamps holding the stock together actually holding the hand guard on? I did not see a break in the stock. I was going to suggest that in other threads repairing stocks has be quite extensively discussed.
Also barrels originally thought to be worn out can shoot very well with a little experimenting with bullet/powder combinations. Maybe with cleaning you have already discovered it is better than your first impression.

IP Logged

Sniper338
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
yes, clamps were holding the top piece of the stock down...  clips on it dont keep it on..

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:00am
Print Post  
'Sniper338' - As others have stated, this Krag is a poor (and expensive) candidate for restoration. A 'drilled' receiver pretty much ruins any original restoration attempt.

I am left wondering your motivation for replacing the barrel. How long is it now and what is the bore condition?

To honor your grandfather, it would make sense to put it into a good configuration for Hunting. This could be done rather inexpensively, if it has a decent bore.

Your receiver holes look like they were done for a Weaver side-mount. The Weaver #2 side-mount base (#48402) is still made and sometimes shows up real cheap on ebay. The Detachable Side-Mount, (#49350), also is still available and is a solid way to put a Scope on a Krag.

Your stock 'chip' could be repaired near the receiver ring. A walnut nose-cap or tip could be added to the stock at the barrel-band to give the stock a carbine appearance.

A krag rear-sight and 'banded' front-sight could be put on the barrel to have iron sights.

The description of your hand-guard problem puzzles me a bit.

Attached is a picture of the Weaver side-mount and an inside view of a Krag hand-guard. I hope these are of help. BTW - Your hand-guard is for the model 1901 sight.

(p.s. - It appears a lot of your Krag's parts are retaining original finish. Krag rifles and carbines did not have a homogeneous 'Blue-Black' finish like many more modern arms have. IMHO - Putting a modern finish on a Krag does not turn out well).
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2018 at 5:11pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Cat1870
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Sniper338 wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 5:51am:
Hi guy, new guy here.  Not new to firearms though.

I recently aquired my grandfathers 30-40 Krag.  I wish it was, but its not in great shape...  He chopped the barrel when he messed up the crown, broke the stock, pipe clamps holding it together, he drilled and tapped the receiver for a scope mount...  he hunted it it for years.

I want to rebuild it...  I have it all taken apart, I just cant get the barrel off, I dont have the right receiver tool, and I suspect it will need heated, and or a releif cut to get the barrel off...   I want to get it all refinished, blasted, re blued, new barrel and stock..  Id like to get the holes in the receiver filled and made back original looking, new upgraded condition..  iron sights and all...

I dont know where to go, who to talk to or much about sourcing parts for this gun...  looking for help to turn this old thing back into a new, old original looking gun.

I'm  in the same boat....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint