Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
New member.....old lurker (Read 2072 times)
olBEAR
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

New member.....old lurker
Feb 8th, 2018 at 5:07am
Print Post  
Good evening gentlemen (and Ladies, if there are any here).
After spending years as a shadow lurker on this site I got tired of not seeing the photos so now I have joined.
Being a 1903 guy I find Krags confusing and at times terrifying.
I do have a question concerning the little plate on bottom of the magazine attached to the hinge pin. Mine does not stay in the "up" position but flaps open when it feels the need. Is this broken or bent or is it supposed to do this. It doesn't seem right because it exposes the magazine workings to dirt.
Thanks for any answers.

olBEAR aka BEAR

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New member.....old lurker
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 6:23am
Print Post  
'olBEAR' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

The 'Hinge Bar' (of the Krag Magazine-Gate) is suppose to remain closed and cover the cam and contact surfaces of the Follower-Arm Assembly.

It is intended to be easily opened by lifting the flat (spring like) cover, while rotating the Hinge Bar. This is to facilitate cleaning, inspection, and light lubrication.  IMHO - It is best opened with the Stock removed from the action.

The condition you describe ('self-opening') is a common Krag affliction.

Several things can cause this problem: old dried up crud and grease, burrs on the long 'pin' part of the Hinge-Bar, including its tip, lack of lubrication, and a bent Hinge-Bar, especially near the cover. Often all of these factors are present.

My advice is to disassemble the Magazine-Gate assembly. Remove any burrs and straighten the Hinge-Bar, clean dirt & old grease, and lightly lubricate parts.

While still apart (and without the Follower/Gate Spring), test the alignment of Hinge-Bar with the 'loops' on the receiver and test its fit through the 'long hinge hole' of the Loading-Gate for freedom to rotate. The flat cover on the Hinge-Bar needs a bit of tension to lock into place in its recess on the bottom of the receiver.

IP Logged

olBEAR
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Thanks butlersrangers
I will make a point of disassembling this rifle to see if I can fix it.
I knew this didn't seem right because my son owns a sporterized 1898 and his doesn't do this. I have not been able to do a side by side comparison so I thought it was time to join and ask.
Again, thanks.

olBEAR aka BEAR

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
'olBear' - The curved flat-spring ('R' on the schematic) puts considerable pressure on the hinge of the Magazine-Gate.

The tension on the spring can be reduced to a degree by removing the left Side-Plate. This relieves the tension of the follower-assembly.

A soaking of penetrant on visible areas of the Hinge-Bar and Magazine-Gate hinge will make disassembly easier.

Do not use excessive force. The Magazine-Gate needs to be held in position, while the Hinge-Bar is slightly rotated, 'back and forth', while at the same time pulling it forward out of the Gate.

(Caution - Do not use a 'punch' on the end of the Hinge-Bar to drive it out. This will deform it and cause problems).

I have a strong grip and can hold the Magazine-Gate in place, while withdrawing the Hinge-Bar. Sensible people use a padded "C" Clamp, to hold the Magazine-Gate in place on the receiver, while withdrawing the Hinge-Bar. 

IP Logged

olBEAR
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 3:23am
Print Post  
Thanks again butlersrangers
I promise to use due diligence and caution when performing the Krag surgical removal of said hinge pin.  Smiley

olBEAR

IP Logged

olBEAR
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 1:35am
Print Post  
I didn't have to take the hinge pin out after all. The little trap door thingy was all boogered up and bent. A little needle nose work and brass hammer tapping straightened it out enough to snap back in place.
Thanks for all the help.

olBEAR aka BEAR

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint