Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Un-shootable Krags?? (Read 2707 times)
larry.k
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Un-shootable Krags??
Feb 16th, 2018 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
HI, I"m new to this forum, so if this question is already answered, please direct me to that thread, thank you.
I just acquired a Krag sporter, not very well done wood, the machinery seems to work OK though.  A friend of mine, Krag owner, said there is a set of these which are not functional, and there is a list of serial numbers where I can verify if my rifle is "un-shootable".  Is this real?  Is there any such a list?  Do I have any reason for concern?  Thanks.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Un-shootable Krags??
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Not that I'm aware of.  If it appears to be mechanically sound, properly chambered, and the bore isn't plugged you should be ok to try it out.

IP Logged

Zgun
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
Larry.K, your friend may be confusing Krag Rifles with the 1903 low serial numbered rifles. They were manufactured by Springfield Armory and are indeed recommended not to shoot due to suspected improper heart treatment.

I have never seen a list or range of serial numbers for any of the Krags as not safe to shoot.
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2018 at 11:49am by Zgun »  

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Larry, Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Krags!

Perhaps the friend is confusing the Low-Numbered 1903 serial number issue and the Cracked-Bolt issues with Krags.  Just a guess of course.

As Madsen and Zgun both said, there are no Krags with issues making them unshootable.  The cracked bolt issue has to do with an effort to adopt a hotter round with better ballistics around 1898.  After the bolt lugs started cracking, the hotter rounds were removed from service, bolts were replaced, and life went on.  Just so you know, Krags are (incorrectly) notoriously labeled as having a weakness because of the single locking lug... however the Krag bolt has two excellent backup lugs which are never mentioned - the guide rib and the bolt handle.

If you're concerned, have a competent gunsmith - one who KNOWS Krags inspect the rifle (unknowledgeable gunsmiths sometimes report erroneous info and compound the problem).  I suspect that yours is just fine and dandy!

Then, have your Krag owner friend join the forum too.  This is the best place to get a Krag education!!!

IP Logged

larry.k
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 2:38am
Print Post  
HI Thanks for the responses, especially the assurance about the bolt design.  There is a lot written about the single lug design, and about the attempt to use hotter loads.  I don't intend to use anything hotter, in fact I'd like to find some "lite" loads, just to preserve the guy for the next generation who will own it when I'm gone.  I'm glad to hear there are no lists of unshootable Krags, I expect that was from the '03s problem, funny how stuff like that gets handed around.  I have taken this gun to a gunsmith to get an inspection, since I don't know the prior owner I can't be sure of anything.  I have inspected it myself and can find nothing wrong.  So, soon I'll be shooting up the new Remington loads I bought (for 2 bucks a round, GEEZ)..Thanks again everyone!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Just some friendly words of advice:

1.  Save your brass.  At the cost, and sometimes scarcity of factory ammo, you'll want to reload, and new Krag brass can be even harder to find!
2. Enjoy your Krag!
3. Beware... Krags are extremely addicting!!!

Cheers

IP Logged

larry.k
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Thanks, yes I'll save the brass.  I don't reload, but this might be the right time to learn.  Thanks again,  larry.k

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint