Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Low Pressure rounds (Read 2793 times)
larry.k
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Low Pressure rounds
Feb 17th, 2018 at 3:28am
Print Post  
Does anyone manufacture a lower pressure round, something like a "controlled recoil" round.  Just wishing I had a lighter load to preserve this old rifle a while longer.  The single lug bolt design worries me a bit.  Thanks.  larry.k

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Re: Low Pressure rounds
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 4:33am
Print Post  
SAAMI maximum average pressure for .30/40 is just 40,000 c.u.p.. That's pretty low compared to many "modern" cartridges. How much lower could commercial producers go for you to feel better?

Don't forget the U.S. Krag has two additional "back-up lugs" in the unlikely event the main lug fails.

IP Logged

Fiddler
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
I fired 6 Remington commercial 180 gr. when first got my 98. The next 1500+ have all been cast bullets. Accuracy has been as good as the Remington, much more pleasant to shoot and they won't erode the bore any where near as much. All the other commercial/military that came with the rifle have been broken down for the brass.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Ah yes.
The fifth Commandment.

V. Learn to reload.

Well done good, brother.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

larry.k
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 2:30am
Print Post  
Hi, thanks for the replies.  The original 30 -40 grain was specified at 40,000 PSI pushing a 220 grain bullet, at about 2000 FPS leaving the barrel.  The current Remington Ammo I have uses a 180 grain bullet which is lighter, and claims 2430 FPS leaving the barrel.  I would like to find some "lite" loads like the limited recoil 30-30 rounds I use in my 03 Winchester.  It's probably safe anyway, but I would like this rifle to last a long time, so my grandson can enjoy it when I'm gone.  The limitd recoil loads for the 30-30 allows me to shoot that gun with less shoulder abuse!!  The single lug design on the Krag bolt gives me some concern, I love that bolt action but that lug is very small!!

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Put your fears to rest.  There are more than one safety device designed into the receiver.  First the single lug as you are aware.  Second the bolt handle slips down a slot in the receiver.  The bolts on the M1903s, M1917s, and mauser types are behind the receivers and have a different safety scheme.  Thirdly, I seem to remember a locking slot milled into the bottom of the bolt itself.  I don't have my books here in Africa so the smarter guys will have to chime in on this.

Your concern of running low powered loads means you will not be hot rodding the .30-40 round.  The Ordnance Dept tried that in the late 1890s and found the hotter round was cracking metal of the single lug.  However cracking is not catstrophic failure.

Which brings me to the next point.  Double charges of fast burning pistol or shotgun powders will cause a failure in a very bad way.  Be careful on your reloads.

I own sn 112.  I have fired factory R-P and Winchester 180s in it with no problems or fears.  I have also fired my own reloads of sierra RN 220s and forty grains of IMR 4350 through it and still have one eye and six fingers.  Just kidding.  Still have everything I was born with at the moment.

Search the older threads in this sub forum and the archive forum for discussions on reduced loads.  You can jump on over to Culver's shooting pages' krag forum for reduced loads too.  Most of the guys here hang out there.  Hey.  A krag is a krag.

Best regards,

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
As Parashooter stated, the lug failure is unlikely.  Additionally, there have been no reported cases of lug cracking or failure using the Remington factory ammo!!!  I've been shooting my 1898 WW1 veteran Krag in vintage matches for years using standard loads of 220 gr RN bullets with 40 grains of IMR 4350 and have yet to damage the action or bruise my shoulder. 

However, if you're still concerned about the lug, I refer to Michael Petrov's experiment where he machined off the lug, and fired a bevy of "HOT" ammo out of a Krag.  It took it all in stride.  What finally destroyed the gun was a load of 20 grains of Bullseye!  That kind of power would destroy just about any rifle! 

If you want to explore lighter loads, I suggest the 150 gr RN bullet for the 30-30 with a starting powder charge.  Consult your loading manual.

IP Logged

larry.k
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys!  I"m going to figure out the reloading, so I can make up my own lite loads.  I"m sure the gun can take the pressure, but I'll try giving it a little less strain, after all it's 120 years old.  Ha!!
Thanks again.  larry.k

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint