Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 25 Bolt stuck shut. 1898 (Read 7726 times)
Jenkins
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Bolt stuck shut. 1898
Feb 17th, 2018 at 4:59am
Print Post  
i cant get my bolt opened. i think it may have something to with the safety spindle?? not sure but no matter what the bolt will not open. the original safety was removed but there is a pin in its spot and i cant remove it.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Bolt stuck shut. 1898
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 6:19am
Print Post  
'jenkins' - Welcome to the KCA forum.

Your photo of your Krag action was kind of large and blurry. I took the liberty of trying to clear things up a bit. It does look like this action was badly abused.

I labeled a few things:

"A" marks your Safety-Lever. It is now in the 'Safe' position, which locks the Bolt and prevents it from opening. The Lever appears loose on the spindle that it should control. To allow the Bolt to open, the Safety-Lever would normally be rotated 180 degrees counter clock-wise.

"B" points to a strange rough area that may be a 'weld' holding the Bolt closed???

"C" points to the shaft of the Magazine-Cutoff. The Lever is broken off of the shaft. The Cut-Off is used to block cartridge feed from the magazine. It plays no role in locking the Bolt and preventing it being rotated open.

Lots of questions about what happened to this Krag action??? I'd have to see it in person to figure it out!

IP Logged

Jenkins
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 8:32am
Print Post  
well unfortunately it was in my dads safe where his wife put one of the those moisture bags in that suck away moisture and it leaked all over the rifle. pretty upset about it. the bolt turns very little but wont do anything.

IP Logged

Jenkins
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 8:34am
Print Post  
A point works fine and is in fire mode. safe would be to the left and b is rust and isnt welded. (You need to Login to view media files and links) here a link to a video of it.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 9:36am
Print Post  
That Safety-Lever has been drastically altered. It is like someone changed it to work in reverse. Also, maybe to stop and lock at the 12 o'clock position. Was there once a Scope on this Krag?

Now, when your Safety is in the normal 'Fire' position, a solid part of the lever is blocking and locking into the 'cocking-piece'. There should be a relief cut on the lever, but, it is on the wrong side.

You might try putting the Safety-Lever in the 3 o'clock position and then driving it directly to the rear with taps from a plastic mallet. A small screwdriver blade inserted in the groove to partially depress the 'pin' into the Safety-Lever would assist disassembly.

Your safety is preventing the bolt from opening.

A normal Krag Safety and Bolt-Sleeve for comparison:

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
I have marked a curved line where the 'clearance cut' appears to be, on your altered safety.

This would have to be centered on the 'bottom' to allow the safety-lever to be driven rearward off of the bolt. Otherwise, part of the lever will engage a notch machined into the 'cocking-piece'.

(It is likely your safety-lever is slipping and not properly aligned on its shaft).

IP Logged

HeyJoe
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Might consider putting a cleaning rod in the muzzle and measure that its empty first.

IP Logged

Jenkins
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Well the safety lever I took off and it still won't turn. Is there anything else that could prevent the bolt from turning besides the safety?

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Can you kock it manually by pulling the striker Knob back? As previously mentioned it would be good to confirm that it is empty first.

IP Logged

Jenkins
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 4:17am
Print Post  
Yes I can and it is

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 5:02am
Print Post  
Did your safety's shaft (spindle) come completely out of the bolt-collar (Did it remain attached to the safety-lever)?

If part of the shaft remains in the bolt-collar, it could interfere with the 'notch' at the rear of the bolt. (This prevents the bolt from opening when safety is engaged).

Attached picture shows a Krag Bolt as handle is lifted. (The Safety is a normal Safety in 'fire' position). The 'arrow' points to the bolt 'notch' the safety spindle locks into, when the bolt is closed and Safety is put on 'safe'.
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2018 at 2:49pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Jenkins
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 5:10am
Print Post  
i was told the shaft thats there is part of the magazine catch and wont interfere with the bolt

IP Logged

Jenkins
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 5:25am
Print Post  
here a link to the phots. one has the rear sight on the other off.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 5:34am
Print Post  
There are two shafts:

The one attached to the Safety - point "A" - in my copy of your picture.

The second shaft - point "C" - for the Magazine Cut-Off in my copy of your picture. The cut-off shaft should be irrelevant to the 'Bolt Not Opening'.

In fact, the shaft from the Cut-Off was probably cut and left in place, on purpose, for smooth cartridge feed. The cut-off lever was removed so a Redfield 'peep' sight could be installed.

(On my last picture of my Krag, point "C" is covered by a Pacific 'peep-sight').

You might try pointing your UNLOADED Krag straight up vertically and tap lightly on the bolt-sleeve with a plastic mallet and see if anything drops out of the hole your safety use to occupy.

IP Logged

Jenkins
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 5:37am
Print Post  
hole?? where at?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint