Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  Send TopicPrint
 25 Barrel Band for Krag Sporter (Read 27150 times)
FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Barrel Band for Krag Sporter
Reply #60 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Last photo of the kit, will ship it to Jim today.
Shows the rough pocket first drilled then partially shaped with a Dremel tool.  The bar end with mock nut and band will be used to gauge while finishing the pocket. The brass escutcheon is also included. The round portion of the pocket was made with the pull drill and my heavy Milwaukee drill, a lighter drill would have more finesse and control. The end of the pull drill is .370 deep. So you drill till the end is flush with the barrel channel then quit. The Dremel will be used to make the pocket deeper to clear the band ends.
  Hobby knives and chisels will be used for the band clearance. Just a plug for Excel hobby knives, they come with a much sharper edge then the better known X-Acto tools.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #61 - Mar 25th, 2019 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
This is a late follow up to Jim's barrel band installation. I made the fit of the escutcheon a little tight and Jim had a mishap and made the recess under the stock too deep. I made him a washer from a hard engineering plastic to take up the space and get the escutcheon flush with the stock again.  The last I talked to Jim he had not installed the front sling swivel. The intended swivel was the reason for doing this band, as I could just see a jerk on the sling breaking the stock if the front portion was not tied to the barrel with a band.

I contacted Numerich about the bands and they have about 1300 on hand, but no nuts or screws. I asked about me making the nuts for them and they seemed to have no interest in them or selling a batch of the bands to me at a discount.

I am going through a busy patch at work but when it slows down I may be able to make more of the nuts and escutcheons for KCA members in the future if others want to do this.

IP Logged

RomeoJim
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #62 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Happy Summer Everyone!!

I have my Dad's old model 1899 Krag carbine nearly completed except for some minor cosmetic repairs. I figured I should post a couple of photos of the nearly complete project that wouldn't have been possible without FredC's expertise. The throat in the old rifle was so eroded that a 220 grain round nose could be seated as far out as I wanted without contacting any lands or groove! No wonder it had such poor accuracy. Anyway, I had Jim Albright of Albright's Firearm Services install a new Criterion carbine barrel on re-install  the old front ramp sight. Criterion states that they make their barrels to match the original contours and they do a great job with that because when I received the barreled action back from Jim, it so perfectly fit the bedding job I had done to the stock with the original barrel that no modifications were necessary. Having the Barrel band system that was so ingeniously engineered and fabricated by FredC to support the forestock, I installed a pair of studless push-button release sling swivels fore and aft and I'm in business for the upcoming firearm deer season here in Michigan. I'm currently working up loads for the newly barreled Krag and so far the best group I have obtained was 0.8" using 150 grain Barnes bullets and 48grains of IMR 4350 powder. I can post other pics of the progress if anyone's interested. I'm taking it out this weekend to attempt  finalize my deer loads using some 150 grain Nosler round nose bullets.....

IP Logged

RomeoJim
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #63 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
I forgot to add that the sighting in was done at 100 yards and the chronograph showed an average velocity of 2,533 fps

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #64 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
I forgot to ask of the scope mount is still in production? If so others may want to see the details of the no drill scope mount.
Sure a nice looking sporter.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #65 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Great Job RomeoJim!!! Hope you have lots of fun shooting your rifle and success harvesting a deer next hunting season.

Kudos to FredC for his fine/superb craftsmanship skills and BR for resurrecting the Savage band idea.

I may have to order a few of FredC's band solutions just to have them on hand for future builds!!!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #66 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
I still think Leroy Rice had a brilliant solution.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #67 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
"I still think Leroy Rice had a brilliant solution." Quote
I like it also, but I did not think they are still in production. Looks like it might slip around a factory sight. Being a production machinist I am not proficient in bendy things so I would not know how to make it.   Smiley
Also it might be springy with a sling and let the forearm move around, or not?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #68 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
The 'Rice' barrel-band is not made anymore. I believe the (Elyria, Ohio) company 'disappeared' during the early 1960's.

The attached description explains the installation.

Tightening the 'slotted-nut' would have drawn the band into its barrel channel inletting, preventing the band opening-up.

I don't have one of these barrel-bands and have just seen them in photographs.

IP Logged

RomeoJim
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #69 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Thanks FredC for mentioning about the S & K No drill scope mounts which are made for a variety of older military style rifles. I also have one on my Dad's re-barreled (.30-06) Karab. 98b Mauser. They are still being manufactured by S & K Scope Mounts LLC, 70 Swede Hollow Road, Sugar Grove, Pennsylvania Zip 16350. Their phone number (800) 578-9862 . Here's a link to their website :  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

Below is a photo of my Dad's old Mauser with a no-drill S & K Scope Mount just to show how one looks on a different style of rifle

About 25 years ago and I had started discussed taking a guided hunting trip for Caribou in Quebec. That winter without him knowing it I sneaked it from their summer condo and had it re-barreled for him with a Douglas Air Guaged barrel and then I modified the original stock, by adding a recoil pad, a burled walnut fore end and grip cap, glass bedding the receiver and free floating the barrel. Then I checkered the stock and used an S & K Scope mount to put a nice scope on it (Not the one that's currently on it). By the time I was done with it and was able to present it to him as a  gift for him to take on our Caribou hunt he had suddenly encountered such serious health problems that the docs wouldn't permit him to take such aa trip. Still bums me out to think about it. If I had only started it a couple of years sooner..... Looking at it now, the forestock appears so thin I probably should have put one of FredCs barrel bands on it.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #70 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Would not think a 98 Mauser would need one as the trigger screws are widely spaced. The stock is not so thin under the magazine like a Krag. Also it would negate the advantages of your free floating barrel.
That said another nice looking sporter.
From other posts it is allowable here to mention scripture, a very comforting one to me is when it says the last enemy death will be brought to nothing. Would also think the same applies to aging. Something to look forward to.
Looked at you post again, you sneaked it off. So many today do that for bad reasons. Doing that to improve it and go on a once in a lifetime adventure, that is different. Hats off to you.

IP Logged

RomeoJim
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #71 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Thank You FredC.

It is a genuine pleasure to have gotten to know you through this forum, through our email communication and while working on this project together. There certainly are lotsa good folks in this kragcollectorsassociation. Proud to be a member!

Thanks again,

Jim

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #72 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
For anyone interested, there is a series in the Machinist work shop magazine about adding a barrel band to a Krag. The author inherited a partially sporterized 94 Krag and finished the project. I will try to contact him to see if he will contribute to a thread here.

For anyone interested in making a barrel band and has a few machine tools in the garage it would be an good read:
(You need to Login to view media files and links)
So many ways to skin a cat.

IP Logged

carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

Reply #73 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
this barrel band come off a krag sporter ..

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #74 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
So many ways to skin a cat.
If I am seeing that band and clamp? correctly the clamp does double duty as a sling attachment? The screw goes into the end of the fore end?

Can the band be spread enough to go around a an original SA front sight?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Send TopicPrint