Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 New member with a Krag project. (Read 13475 times)
Suredan
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New member with a Krag project.
Reply #15 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
I would not risk using that bolt especially since NOS bolt bodies are available for $55.

IP Logged

milsurpshooter
KCA Forum Member

Glad to be here. Lucky
to be here.

Reply #16 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 1:26am
Print Post  
I cleaned up the stock with some Hoppe's #9 and a soft cotton rag.  Once dried, the following marking appeared on the right-hand butt stock which was previously unseen.  It appears to be "N.?.D 2" or "MHD 2".  Any help with deciphering would be greatly appreciated.
- milsurpshooter

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 4:49am
Print Post  
The letters ring no bell with me. I imagine they are the shadow of painted letters that were once stenciled on the wood.

Your second picture makes it look like there may be an additional letter in front of the ones you note.

IP Logged

milsurpshooter
KCA Forum Member

Glad to be here. Lucky
to be here.

Reply #18 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
NOS 1898 bolt body arrived.  After cleaning, but before assembling it, I checked headspace with a Brit .303 GO gauge.  I was unable to fully close the bolt using only the lightest pressure.  However, I was able to close the bolt using a little more force when using a 30-40 new unfired brass casing.  I checked for burrs on the bolt lug and face but didnt notice any.  So is a bolt fitting (stoning of the lug) in order or is there another fix?  Was hoping that a NOS bolt body would be interchangable.
Thanks,
- milsurpshooter

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 12:59am
Print Post  
I would not remove metal from a Krag bolt locking-lug. I see no point in removing surface hardness.

Maybe a KCA member will swap a nice used bolt with you.

I assume the lug recess in the action is clean with no heavy buildup of grease and crud.

It is unusual for a Krag action to have resistance closing on a .30-40 cartridge rim.

Do you have access to another Krag bolt, to try?

IP Logged

Suredan
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 1:48am
Print Post  
A question for the Krag experts. How big of an issue is it for the bolt to have a bit of resistance when closing on the case? Since it headspaces on the rim, the case would not be jammed into the chamber and still should have room to expand normally. Wouldn’t the bolt eventually “lap” itself in?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 3:54am
Print Post  
IMHO - With use these parts will 'wear in', but, they should not have to.

It would be interesting to inspect the OP's Krag and note possible reasons for tight headspace.

IIRC - This Krag came with a bolt that had the firing-pin cut and the firing pin hole in the bolt face welded up.

OP's picture of barrel breech shows possible roughness.
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2018 at 5:04am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Just a few thoughts on headspace and ammo. Several years ago I purchased a 300 pc lot of unfired Remington cases. Checking the head thickness on a fair percentage most were several thousandths of an below the .064 max. With only a few that were .063.  On a 50 pc bag of Grafs unfired cases almost all were near the middle of the tolerance with the largest about .003 below max.
Since getting Remington in the future may be difficult and Grafs seems readily available having a bolt chamber combo that is just a .001 too small may be no issue at all.
If you have a way of checking a batch of cases for effective head thickness you could find the largest one insert it in the chamber and check for free play. Your thickness gauge that can move around on the bolt is not the best because the barrel and bolt can have extensive wear on the case rim and no wear off the center. My old take off barrel has several thousanths wear from case rims. Outside that area is factory bluing. Same thing on the bolt but to a lesser extent.
When I mentioned effective thickness of the case, you could have a rim thickness of .061 and a couple of thousanths of "tilt"
on the rim from the case body axis effectively making it .063".
That is why I made this holder for gauging the rims.

IP Logged

milsurpshooter
KCA Forum Member

Glad to be here. Lucky
to be here.

Reply #23 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
I had a little more time today to work on the Krag.  Once again, I thoroughly cleaned and inspected the breech area and locking lug recess.  I did not notice any burs or high spots.  Using a Sharpie, I marked up the rear face of the lug and guide.  I then cycled the bolt on an empty, properly sized, brass cartridge case.  After removing the bolt, only one rub was noticed and that was a small spot on the rear of the locking lug.  Attached are pics of my GO gauge thickness, breech area, and locking lug after cycling.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #24 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
If I am interpreting the photo correctly the contact is on the "outside" of the lug farthest from the firing pin?
That would correspond to the deepest part of the recess. You might make a dental type pick out of a soft nail and try to scrape more gunk out of there. A nail should do no damage to the semi case hardened receiver, if nothing else you would be able to tell if the base metal has a high spot down there. If it did it would be hard to explain, unless this rifle has seen a huge overload in its life.

IP Logged

milsurpshooter
KCA Forum Member

Glad to be here. Lucky
to be here.

Reply #25 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
FredC wrote on Mar 14th, 2018 at 9:31pm:
If I am interpreting the photo correctly the contact is on the "outside" of the lug farthest from the firing pin?

The "rub" spot is on the back side/aft face of the locking lug, as seen in pic #3.  And in particular, only a small portion of the locking lug is making contact with the receiver (that was why I included the pic). 

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #26 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
I am NO machinist, but I would be VERY surprised if anything more than the small area shown is ACTUALLY  making contact on virtually ANY bolt action, unless it is hand-lapped.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #27 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Pictures can deceive, but, it appears to me there is a burr on your barrel breech on the left side of the extractor notch, at the chamber mouth.
Also, it looks like some residue is in the bottom of the bolt-lug recess.

As Dick Hosmer states, the amount of lug contact is not surprising.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #28 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
I am confused by the description of the contact/rub area. I have copied the photo and tried to put an arrow pointing to the middle of the contact area I think I see. My arrow looks more like a line but right side of the line is on the intended target. If this is correct I would rather see the lug make contact near the round portion of the bolt body for the highest possible strength. Since this bolt receiver combo is a little tight on the brass, I would be inclined the take the barrel off and worry a little metal off the receiver on the high spot. Then lap it with valve lapping compound and reassemble after a thorough cleaning. Any compound left in there will bite you with excessive wear in the future. This is assuming the new never used bolt is square, which I think is a safe assumption.

IP Logged

Suredan
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #29 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
I believe I can see the burr that butlersrangers is talking about at the junction of the extractor groove and the chamber mouth. Does it make a mark on the front side of the cartridge rim?
FredC, why would the barrel need to be removed to lap the bolt in?
Also, as open as the Krag is, could not a small inspection mirror be used to look at the receiver bolt lug seat? That could be informative.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint