Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 311284 a little quicker. (Read 6192 times)
madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

311284 a little quicker.
Feb 28th, 2018 at 12:54am
Print Post  
I finally got out to play with my two 92/96 rifles.  I had some 204gr 311284 bullets sized .311 and loaded over 38gr of 760.  CCI #34 primer.  I didn't have many to shoot for group, I'd switched from shooting 174FMJBT to the 311284 loads and it took me awhile to figure out I was hitting over the target!  I was using load data Badger Ed from cast boolits made up for me, and it predicted 2150fps for the load.  I don't own a chronograph so I don't know if it got there.  There was no alloy blew back on the case neck, so the alloy is up the pressure.  I made another downward adjustment between the 4 in the white and the 3 in the black.  That's all the adjustment I had!  The nice round holes show some good stability at that velocity.  I'll try a few more of these with RL19.

I forgot to mention that the predicted pressure was 30259psi
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2018 at 3:00am by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 311284 a little quicker.
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Rainy day in Ohio, so I got 14 more of the 311284 loaded with 2150fps in mind.  39.5gr of RL19 fired with a CCI34 primer. Bullets seated to 3.103".  At that length there are 4 little rifling marks about 1/32" wide and perhaps 1/16" long on the borerider and a ring around the  leading edge of the.311 driving band about .020" tall.  If the load groups better than what I've got so far with the FMJBTs, I'll commit to shooting cast at Camp Perry this year.  Maybe not this cast bullet though.  I managed to get my hands on a Eagan MX3-30ARD mold.  188gr cast in lino.  I've shot some really small groups with it's lighter brother the MX3-30AR.  It had to be seated quite long to fit my throat, the ARD is longer and heavier, a bit fatter in the nose to better fit Krag barrels.  Eagan's molds are nose pour, which leaves a little flat nose, not sure they'll feed.  I'd also like to try more loads with the 311365 spitzer cast of the same alloy as these 311284s.  I found the formula for that alloy recently, so I can mix some more soon!

Going back through my notes and some targets, I discovered this bullet is impacting about the same point as the 203gr 311365s I tried shooting at Camp Perry a few years back, least at 100yds
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2018 at 3:46pm by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
Shot the 14 today, wasn't too bad, accuracy @100yds at least equal to what I've been getting with the .310" FMJBTs.  I had to walk them onto the target from off to the right.   Last 6 with no changes of sight adjustment went into a 2.375"W x 1.25H group.  Casenecks were sooty, so the RL19 load wasn't up to the same pressure level and wasn't burning as efficiently as the WW760 load.  Velocity must've been lower too as I had to move the rear sight up a couple notches from all the way down to get the group in the 10 ring whereas I was hitting high with the 760 load.  This bullet isn't showing any instability at higher velocities.  With all the fellows on castboolits saying it topped out around 1800fps for accuracy, I had expected to run into a wall like I found with the Squibb bullet.  I don't care how hard you cast those, go much above 1600fps and forget about accuracy!  I'll go up a grain with the RL19, see if it'll burn a bit cleaner.  I know the alloy will handle a bit more pressure.  The soot was just dirty case lube blowing back over the necks.  Wiped right off with a paper towel.  I have single box of Federal Gold Medal Magnum Match primers, before I go up a grain, I'll see how the burn goes using them with the same charge.  Just a few!
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2018 at 1:51am by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Man did I ever screw up today!  Last night I loaded a dozen rounds, 6 with 39.5gr RL19 with the Federal Gold Medal Magnum Match primer, and 6 with 40.5gr RL19 and the CCI#34 primer.  I stopped by the range and for no good reason I got hasty!  I decided to shoot the groups and get going again, though I really didn't have anywhere I needed to be.  I didn't even bother to set up my spotting scope.  Look at the surprise from the magnum primer fired load that I found once I was close enough to see!  Ordinarily I'd be looking at each shot!  Both loads were still blowing lube back on the neck, the 40.5 less so, and the neck on them expanded a bit more.  No alloy blowing back with either load!  I went through the fired cases trying to find a reason other than my shooting for the two fliers with the 39.5 load.  Putting a .311 bullet back into the neck, there were two of them that were looser fitting, they expanded a tad more than the other 4, of course I have no idea if the two outside of the group came from those cases.  Case weights were close for the 6, neck thickness close to the same.  The 40.5gr group, I was just shooting too fast, not paying enough attention to my cheek weld, but at least they stayed in the black.  Perhaps an even 40gr with the GMM primer will surprise me a bit more.  That's about the end of this bottle of RL19, but I have a couple new ones.  I've not cleaned my rifle for nearly 40rds now, so it looks like accuracy would hold up for the 35 shots at Camp Perry with this alloy.

SEE THE ENTRY BELOW, this was not RL19, but IMR4831!
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2018 at 9:47pm by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 2:24am
Print Post  
I was going to put the little bit of old RL19 in with some I recently bought, but there's a substantial difference in grain size and uniformity.  Can't imagine why, the old lb was only $25, how long ago has that been?  Oops, now that I think about it I pulled the old out of 30-06.  It was only $15/lb back when I loaded them!  I may as well start development over with the new stuff!

I loaded up a half dozen this morning with 39.5 of the new RL19 using the GMM primers and will try to make it to the range soon.  The new RL19 is very different from the old, smaller grains that flow better through my charging funnel.  I seated the bullets a bit deeper, OAL of 3.086".  I still see little rifling marks on the borerider but the mark on the front driving band isn't there now.  That ought to give some of that lube a millisecond or so to blow out on the borerider instead of onto the caseneck.  Seating deeper put the top lube groove into the slightly short trimmed cases too.  If these will hold the black I'll likely shoot the remaining ones in an upcoming 50rd match.  Guess I need to get things set up for more casting!
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2018 at 3:17pm by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
The new RL19 is bit more energetic than the old.  The primers of the new loads had a little less radius on the edge than the loads with the old powder.  The group was higher and bigger, but still smaller than the black.  There's still no alloy blowing back on the casenecks.   The new RL19 burns cleaner than the old too.  I was seeing a few mummies with the old, none with the new.  There's still some lube blowing back on the casenecks, but I'm not going to worry about it.  It could be the new powder doesn't need the extra fire of the magnum primer to get going.  That's a good thing as I only have what's left of a single box.  The #34s I have a big bunch of thanks to a local gunshop going out business via online auction.  I bid on what they listed as approx 4000, wound up with 6800 at .01ea!
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2018 at 6:03pm by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
I only have 61 of the 311284s left.  I need 55 to shoot in a practice match at a nearby club, so only one more 6 shot test group before that.  If I get a 100yd zero, I should be able to get on target at 200 with little problem.  I rounded up cases for the load that vary +/- 1gr and the remaining bullets vary a total of only .5gr, ranging from 204 to 204.5.  I'm figuring 38gr will be the magic number, which should still yield around 2000fps.  That's the area I got good accuracy with the 311365 and some other bullets I cast of the same alloy, using the $26/lb RL19.  May as well spend the day getting them loaded.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 12:31am
Print Post  
38gr with the GMM primer was not the magic number!  Still not doing real bad, 1-X, 1-10, 4-9s, center of group high right.  My new VA glasses are making me focus on the target @100yds and leaving the front sight fuzzy.  That doesn't work too good with the sight picture I use, post up in the air, top of the rear sight level with the front sight stud.  They sent me a set of tri-focals that are better in that regard.  Best would have been the first pair which of course they took back!  Second pair I tried to return, they said they didn't need, but they have no front sight focus either.  I'll use the trifocals from now on.  I'm not happy with group size yet, but don't have any more to play with!  I could drop another grain, cross my fingers and shoot the rest in that practice match!  It's actually a CMP clinic, an introduction to high power for the newbs.  The majority are AR shooters and they like seeing the old Krag.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
I have to confess a major mistake!  The "old" RL19 I thought I was using wasn't RL19 at all!  Back in the late 80s I loaded a bunch of 30-06 with both RL19 and IMR4831.  They were my fireball producing loads for my Madsen bolt action rifle.  I kept them in different ammocans, and when I pulled them down, I kept the powder separated.  RL19 went into a RL19 can I had, the IMR4831 sat in a loosely covered and unmarked container on my bench.  Although I had a vague memory of the IMR4831, I forgot those long ago loads and when I was packing up to move, assumed the powder was RL19.  Now I know why it looked so different from the new!  Thankfully, it was a mistake in the more lenient direction and wasn't a faster powder.  I don't have any IMR4831 at present, but the burn rate tells me more than the appearance would.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Apr 21st, 2018 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
The 55 were all ready to go this morning, alas I was not.  Couldn't get to sleep until it was nigh time to wake up!  I miss more matches that way!  Here's the ammo wide awake, along with one of the ugliest parashooter designed chargers ever made.  Somewhat flimsy, made from .011 printing plate that I had laying around, but it works as effectively as the ones Paul makes.  I'll get around to shooting these there's another one of the practice matches next month!

IP Logged

waterman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
There is a moral somewhere in that RL19 story.  I have made similar mistakes, now original containers only.  Could have been a disaster.  But nice group in the one pic.  Hope you can duplicate it.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
I got out to play a little yesterday and shot some of the 37gr RL19 loaded rounds.  Not a bad group, considering the fact that I still don't have a pair of glasses that will allow me to focus on the taller and wider front blade that I have put on the rifle.  The shot out of the black was the first on paper, the other eight I shot after making a sight adjustment, and the first two of those were the Xs.  100yds, velocity is likely still up around 2000fps.  I'll bet if I put the scope on I could hold them all in the ten ring!  Sadly, I now have to get a $24/yr or $5/day permit to shoot at this ODNR range!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint