25 Fireforming loads (Read 9217 times)
Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: Fireforming loads
Reply #15 - May 8th, 2018 at 4:01am
Print Post  
So i'm not the only one who has used an auto jack for a forend rest!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - May 8th, 2018 at 5:16am
Print Post  
That Krag is 'jacked' !!!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - May 8th, 2018 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Good one BR!  When I reloaded the now once fired BCC cases, I was having a problem with some of the little balls getting wedged between bullet and neck and forming a bump.  The now better formed to the chamber brass has a bit more room in it, which makes for less compression of the charge than the new brass.  The bumps weren't occurring with the shiny new cases.   Cleaning the inside of the neck with a brass brush seemed to have solved the problem.  I have a couple more jacks I got from a scrapyard when I noted they didn't have as much play in them as the one I now use.  Someday....

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - May 8th, 2018 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
First time I saw Bob's Jack/Rest at a CBA Match, I nearly LMAO... but I'll tell you what... the thing works, and works GREAT!!!  Now I'm looking for a decent older jack myself!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - May 8th, 2018 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
You know you can take your sighters from a rest at Camp Perry, Paul?  I'd have to get one of the new shiny ones together!  Just kidding, not interested in packing any more than I have to!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - May 11th, 2018 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Yeah... like I wanna be the only fool using a rest at Perry.  They'd laugh me right back to the parking lot!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - May 12th, 2018 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Oh I've seen a few guys that use a rest, nothing like mine of course, usually just some sandbags that are no where near as tall as their forearm would be when in prone.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - May 12th, 2018 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
The Shooting Line at a Match at Seagirt, N.J. in 1904.

No 'shooting rests' in view.

The two competitors in foreground have their Krag slings fastened to 'stacking-swivel' and just threaded through barrel-band swivel.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - May 18th, 2018 at 1:43am
Print Post  
All set to go with this load in a 50rd no sighter highpower match Sunday, weather permitting.  80% chance of storms as of now.  I have one of the 3x7x32 UAG scopes on now.  Through trading and buying other things they were attached to I have several of this style scope.  All the models have changed since I got these little junkers.  Paramount to them holding zero is no flex in the ocular bell.  First thing I do is toss the rubber o-ring.  Two groups, shot the first 4, went up and left then shot the other group of 5.  I am guessing a minimum speed of 2700fps, should be 2.1" high at 100 for a 200yd zero, according to my 3rd Ed Hornady manual, which is about the same vintage as these bullets!  I'll take the my 98 rifle sight with me in case the el cheapo scope shakes loose.  I put a couple drops of thread locker on the ocular bell and lock ring.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #24 - May 22nd, 2018 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Reported elsewhere, I fired 41 of these loads in a match.  Judging by the sounds of fire and impact, these loads are nigh as fast as .223 77gr loads.  The impact area at the club I shot at is a big stony bank and the sound of the impact comes back to you.  To me it sounded like my bullets were getting to the impact area just as quick as the fellow shooting next to me.  Not an easy thing to judge, but that's what I was hearing.  I could be wrong, I'm waiting on one of you fellows with a chronograph to tell me different!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - May 25th, 2018 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on May 12th, 2018 at 4:03pm:
The Shooting Line at a Match at Seagirt, N.J. in 1904.

The two competitors in foreground have their Krag slings fastened to 'stacking-swivel' and just threaded through barrel-band swivel.

This is an excellent example of how even before the advent of the 1907 sling, they were using the sling (which IIRC was intended solely for carry purposes) for position shooting!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint