Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Krag safety question. (Read 1703 times)
Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag safety question.
Mar 16th, 2018 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
I'm thinking that my scout project rifle has an issue with it's safety. With the rifle cocked and the safety moved all the way right the safety correctly keeps the firing pin from falling when the trigger is pulled. But when the safety is straight up and the trigger is pulled the firing pin slightly moves but when the safety is moved to the left position the firing pin falls. My Constabulary Rifle does not do this and stays safe with the safety to the right or straight up. What do I need to replace? Just the safety or something else? Thanks troopers.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Re: Krag safety question.
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
One critical function of the safety mechanism is to pull the cocking piece sear back out of contact with the trigger sear. This allows the trigger sear to return to full elevation if the trigger is pulled and released while the safety is engaged.

The cam surfaces on safety lever and cocking piece of the US Krag are engineered to provide full retraction when the lever is turned fully to the right. They are not designed to work when the lever is turned only half way.

Your description reflects proper function of the Krag safety. The difference in function from your carbine simply reflects manufacturing tolerances or normal wear.

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag safety and mainspring question.
Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Thought that I'd add to this post as opposed to a new thread. I was playing with my constabulary Krag and my scout Krag and realized that the constabulary was alot easier to work so I just swapped out my Krag Scout mainspring with the mainspring from my '03 Springfield parts rifle. The 03 spring was about an inch shorter than the original Krag spring and has made it alot easier to raise the bolt. Just put a few rounds through it with good primer hits. Is this ok?

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Re: Krag safety question.
Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 1:26am
Print Post  
As long as you are getting solid primer strikes and consistent primer ignition it should be

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint