Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 25 1896 Springfield #68605 Carbine Confirmation (Read 8121 times)
voydryder
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1896 Springfield #68605 Carbine Confirmation
Mar 21st, 2018 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Hi, Glad to have found this site! I've had this Krag around the house my entire life (62 years) It's always been indoors but never given enough care. My Brother (grrr) sanded it down and oiled the stock in the sixties and I have kept it maintained but not nearly often enough. The accuracy is fantastic. The rear site was replaced with a peep site dated Jan 23 06. other than that I believe it to be original. The front site is loose and falls off, so it hasn't been to the range lately. I'm interested in receiving information as to its authenticity and value as well as any history to be learned from the serial numbers. The wood inside has been burned in black so I assume it was used heavily at one time or other.
Model 1896     Springfield Armory     68605

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Re: 1896 Springfield #68605 Carbine Confirmation
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 1:21am
Print Post  
Please clarify "the front sight falls off" is it the blade or the entire sight base? The front sight mounting looks a little odd to me.

IP Logged

voydryder
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 3:22am
Print Post  
The base is loose in the barrel, The base tabs that slide in are bent downwards just enough to let it fall out. I haven't messed with it to attempt a repair. the blade as I recall was replaced by a gunsmith 40 years ago. The saddle ring mount is covered with a smooth brass plate on the left side, and the cartouche has been sanded away

IP Logged

voydryder
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 4:25am
Print Post  
Sorry still trying to size my pictures to fit

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
'voydryder' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

You have an interesting model 1896 Krag. The receiver serial number is in the range for some of the model 1896 carbines. Your Stock is a carbine stock that has sadly been reshaped in the comb and wrist area.

The valuable carbine rear-sight is gone and would be costly ($500 - $600) to replace. The carbine hand-guard and correct barrel band are also missing.

It is questionable if your barrel is correct. The crown looks wrong and sight appears reattached, likely to a shortened rifle barrel.

It appears changes were made and possible rebarrelling, long ago, to make it a useful hunting rifle.

I have not seen that rear peep-sight before. It looks like it could be an early version of the Leroy Rice sight. The sight could be of value to a sight collector.

IMHO - Your Krag would be worth $300 - $400, but not, readily restorable.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Interesting sight.  I used to be able to find things given just the date, but I've forgot how and I've now messed with it enough it's getting frustrating.  On to some other little bother.

IP Logged

voydryder
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Hi Thanks for your input. All the previous pictures were taken prior to cleaning but in a effort to determine whether the barrel is correct for a carbine I took some more including the loose sight.

IP Logged

voydryder
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Hi again I recently added some more photos of the crown. I am concerned that the comment,
"It is questionable if your barrel is correct. The crown looks wrong and sight appears reattached, likely to a shortened rifle barrel."
Will forever put this lovely rifle into the category of being "cut Down" Please take a look at the new pictures in the previous post and provide a second opinion as the barrel looks correct to me. Obviously the front sight has had work done over the years and the rear Sight is incorrect but that should not keep it from being an original carbine. Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 4:20am
Print Post  
I think maybe.  Measure your barrel by dropping a rod to the closed boltface and marking it.  The crown looks good to me, the dovetail looks good, much better than the shaping done to the stud.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 4:48am
Print Post  
'voydryder' - The barrel crown does look to be the correct contour in your more recent posted photographs.

A Krag carbine barrel should be exactly 22 inches long, when measured from the muzzle to the closed bolt face with a cleaning rod.

The dovetail for the front-sight base on your barrel appears as Springfield Armory did them.

With photo distortion and the front sight loose, it is hard to judge if your sight is the correct distance back from the muzzle.

Springfield neatly bronze-brazed the Krag front-sight bases into the barrel dovetail. These were very strong and with almost invisible seams. It is rare to see one removed from a barrel. (Often this is an indication of a shortened barrel with sight poorly reattached).

I have no intent to offend you or disparage your Krag. Your barrel is likely
a carbine barrel.

However, your front sight has multiple problems: original brazing gone, sight base is detached, base has been shortened, original blade is replaced with commercial one.

Your carbine stock has been re-shaped. The correct rear-sight, sling-bar & ring, hand-guard and correct barrel-band are missing.

You appear to have a model 1896 carbine that regretably was messed with.

You asked for an honest assessment of your Krag. I tried to give you one.
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2018 at 2:21pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
The later pics were a big help.  I too was thinking cutdown, going by the earlier blurry pic of the front sight & crown, and the given barrel length shown on the tape.

IP Logged

voydryder
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 5:02am
Print Post  
Thank You for your reassessment. At least I know that it is an original carbine. I don't have access to the Krag books to see if there is any history to find in the serial numbers.
As I mention earlier the wood inside the stock is blackened from excessive heat. I wonder if the original hand guard, being thin was burned beyond it's usefulness?
I din't have much luck getting a good picture of the bore, an hints on how to go about getting a good shot inside?

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Maybe this has been considered and I missed it... but why would the sight base be removed, and the inside of the stock be blackened from excessive heat?  When shooting standard military rounds, Krags don't get nearly as hot as, say, something shooting 30-06 (for example).  It would take an extremely hot barrel and action to blacken the lumber, and that would be hot enough to damage the metal too.  I'm just very curious about the blackened wood.  Could this have been in a fire (smoke and heat damaged, but not burned) and then cleaned up to hide the fact?

If I'm way off base, then I apologize... but this just leaped at me this morning.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
The 'patented' peep sight on the bolt/extractor and reshaped Stock suggest this carbine was used by a 'Hunter'.

Likely the hand-guard, model 1896 rear sight and barrel-band, and sling-bar & ring were removed to increase handiness. The current barrel-band is a model 1899 carbine   band, put on backwards. (The "U" must be hidden on the left side).

Maybe the barrel muzzle area was heated up to knock off the original sight and some hobbiest never finished the project by installing a replacement ramp sight? That might explain 'blackened' wood.

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
psteinmayer wrote on Mar 26th, 2018 at 12:29pm:
Maybe this has been considered and I missed it... but why would the sight base be removed, and the inside of the stock be blackened from excessive heat?  When shooting standard military rounds, Krags don't get nearly as hot as, say, something shooting 30-06 (for example).  It would take an extremely hot barrel and action to blacken the lumber, and that would be hot enough to damage the metal too.  I'm just very curious about the blackened wood.  Could this have been in a fire (smoke and heat damaged, but not burned) and then cleaned up to hide the fact?

If I'm way off base, then I apologize... but this just leaped at me this morning.

In my opinion, spot on,
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint