Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Newbie with a qusetion (Read 1551 times)
Calflash
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Newbie with a qusetion
Mar 23rd, 2018 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Just purchased my first Krag. It's a sporter with Redfield rear sights.Two questions. Going on the serial number 416791, what have I got? I don't think I can get the bolt out because the sight hangs over the bolt, am I missing something? Probably more questions after I get it home and take pics.Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Newbie with a qusetion
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
Howdy!  Welcome to the forum, and to the wonderful world of Krags.  Careful... they're very addicting!

You can raise that elevation slide up to remove the bolt.  The Redfield sight should have a screw on the slide that you can set to hold your elevation setting, so after you re-install the bolt, you'll lower the elevation to where you had it set without changing anything.

Serial number is a model 1898 rifle.  If the barrel is not 30 inches from muzzle to closed bolt face, then it has been cut down, which is common for sporters.  Pictures will provide a wealth of information and you'll get great advice!

IP Logged

Calflash
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Thanks psteinmayer. It's on hold for the 10 day waiting period to end. Pictures and more questions to follow. Any idea when it was manufactured?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2018 at 3:02am
Print Post  
'calflash' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Model 1898 Krag, #416791, was assembled at Springfield Armory around October, 1902.

Since Krags were not assembled in numerical order and finished receivers went into parts bins prior to assembly. This is an educated guess, based on monthly production.

IP Logged

Calflash
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2018 at 3:27am
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Mar 24th, 2018 at 3:02am:
'calflash' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Model 1898 Krag, #416791, was assembled at Springfield Armory around October, 1902.

Since Krags were not assembled in numerical order and finished receivers went into parts bins prior to assembly. This is an educated guess, based on monthly production.

thanks. This forum is going to be a big help.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint