Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
304531 history anyone? (Read 1210 times)
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

304531 history anyone?
Apr 1st, 2018 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
I've got an old 1898 Krag that was brought back from France after WW1 by my great grandfather. It was used on the family farm in Idaho and passed down to my father and then down to me. Unfortunately at some point it was sporterized! stock was cut down an inch or so, lower hand guard nicely trimmed back and top hand guard missing with the rear sight. No sling bracket on the stock, front sight fin missing and front sling ring missing. I do not know if there is any way to repair the trimmed stock to make it correct again short of a very difficult and expensive to find replacement stock. The rear sight is a mess in that there were so many used and custom fit to the top guard to try and replace. I'm not sure what to do with it. I fired it for the first time in probably 60 years and it was great. I really want to either repair to original or make it useable in some way. From what I can gather by the SN it was made in 1900 which fits with the barely visible JSA 1901 cartouche. I am sure I am not the only person to have to deal with a sporterized Krag. What have some of you done and any idea how to track where the rifle was originally assigned to while in service? Thanks.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 304531 history anyone?
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2018 at 2:52am
Print Post  
'304531' - There is no listing for Krag #304531 in The Springfield Research Services (SRS) data.

Most Krag serial numbers do not appear in the SRS research, since only a minority of rifles and carbines were recorded in surviving and researched records.

Your Krag receiver was likely manufactured and assembled into a finished arm in approximately December, 1900 to January, 1901. An acceptance cartouche, dated 1901, would be likely.

If you post close and detailed pictures of various areas of your Krag, you will get useful information and suggestions.

Welcome to the KCA Forum.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint