Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1896 Carbine (Read 2292 times)
Dadx3
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1896 Carbine
Apr 5th, 2018 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
I ran across an 1896 Krag Carbine in a LGS and was looking for input here. From my limited experience with Krags it looks like it might be a good deal. It is an 1896 without the 'Model" stamp, has the correct sights, and looks like the correct stock with a 1896 cartouche and proof mark. I could not get photos, but the serial number is 32232. Does this have a hit in the SRS, anyone with access? I suspect it may have been re-blued at some point. Thanks in advance for any assistance. What is the going rate for these carbines?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1896 Carbine
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2018 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
'Dadx3' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

The number, 32232, is in one of the serial number ranges for model 1896 carbines.

Nothing real close in the SRS data, that Frank Mallory included in the Appendix of "The Krag Rifle Story", 2nd edition.

Value and Sale Price are going to depend on originality, condition, and eye appeal. Metal and wood re-finish seriously hurt what a collectable arm is worth.

Original finish on U.S. Krag metal parts was not a homogeneous 'blue'. Receiver, magazine-gate, side-plate and many small parts were case-hardened. Bolt body and sight leaf were 'in the white'. Extractor was flame blue. Barrel and many parts were 'browned', now called, rust blue. Other parts were 'blackened'.

A carbine with patina and honest wear is preferable to any refinishing.

I have seen legitimate model 1896 carbines with serious appearance issues priced at around $1,000 to $1,200, but, they are not selling.

A correct and more eye appealing model 1896 carbine will likely get priced from $1,400 to $2,000.

There is lots of fakery and inflated prices with Krags.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2018 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
What are they asking for it?

Plain "1896" (without "Model") is the scarcest of the receiver stamps. I have a very close one in my collection.

If everything IS right (short stock, 96C sight, etc.) and it is reasonably priced, you might want to snap it up. A reblue (unless it is one of those #$#$%# "black chrome" jobs is not the kiss of death - especially if you only "think" it has been.

IP Logged

Dadx3
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2018 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Dick Hosmer wrote on Apr 6th, 2018 at 2:32pm:
What are they asking for it?

Plain "1896" (without "Model") is the scarcest of the receiver stamps. I have a very close one in my collection.

If everything IS right (short stock, 96C sight, etc.) and it is reasonably priced, you might want to snap it up. A reblue (unless it is one of those #$#$%# "black chrome" jobs is not the kiss of death - especially if you only "think" it has been.

Thank you, I sent you a PM

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint