Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Stacking arms? (Read 1976 times)
waterman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Stacking arms?
Apr 11th, 2018 at 1:35am
Print Post  
I read a comment about the recent cutaway where the poster suggested dents came from stacking arms.  Have you done it?  I have, but not with a Krag.  In early Feb. 1960, I was in USN boot camp.  We had real 1903 (and a few 03A3) Springfields as drill rifles, not some sort of pretend drill rifles.  We marched about with our rifles and stacked arms when ever we went to a class.  If you were careful, they did not get too badly dented.  If the stack fell down, the Chief was unhappy, so we took care.  Not a difficult skill to master. 

FWIW, the real 1903 I was issued had SN 4003.  Yup, a real rod-bayonet .30-03 that had been given the 1906 conversion.  Would have worked too.  Bolt had a complete firing pin.  Barrel was not plugged.  I could see some rifling.  I knew it was a museum piece and treasured it.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Stacking arms?
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 4:54am
Print Post  
We "stacked arms" often, using replica 'Brown Bess' Muskets, during The Bicentennial of the American Revolution. Muskets required interlocking fixed socket bayonets & partially drawing rammers.

Technique is a bit different with rifles and 'stacking-swivels'. No harm is done if three arms are stacked carefully.

Once "tripod" is secure and stable, other arms can be leaned against the first three, maintaining an even & balanced load.

Cartridge belts, bayonets, and accoutrements can then be hung and draped evenly on stacked arms.

One day on a lark, (while my wife was out), I decorated our Living Room with stacked Krags.

It is easier to do when several careful hands are involved.

Calm, team work, communication, and steady hands are needed to un-ravel the stack.

photos: 1. & 2. - My handiwork. 3. A great-uncle's company of Mich. State Troops training outside of Calumet, Mich. in 1903. 4. U.S. Engineers in London 1917.
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2018 at 11:47am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
I'm thinking that we should stack our Krags at Perry for the Roosevelt Match and get some pictures!  That could be fun...

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
"Crossed Arms" and "Stacked Arms"!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint