Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Interesting Krag barrel package (Read 1889 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Interesting Krag barrel package
Apr 13th, 2018 at 3:39am
Print Post  
I actually made a 'Buy Now' offer on this Krag barrel, muzzle-cover, and paperwork, but, my offer was rejected.

Funny, my offer exceeded the amount it eventually sold for. I'm sure, if my offer had been made as a regular bid, it would have just driven up the final price. (I hate auctions)!

I hope this has gone to a 'good home'. Someone got a nice deal for $135.38, plus $20 postage.

The 'loose' 30 inch Krag barrel was described as having an 'excellent' bore. The muzzle-cover is a real plus.

However, the most interesting feature was the Government Paperwork that came with the ebay sale.

It documented the original 1933 sale, (To: Lawrence Glenn - Omaha, Nebraska), of a Krag rifle for $1.50 and an extra barrel for an additional 60 cents, plus 15 cents tax.
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2018 at 5:50pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Interesting Krag barrel package
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Mr. Glen was thinking ahead. What if the $1.50 rifle was received with a 1/2 worn out barrel. The documentation is positive proof that the US government used to sell not "military grade" but actual military weapons to the public.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
IIRC into the 1960's:

Director of Civilian Marksmanship sales of serviceable arms were to Citizens of Good Repute, who were required to be N.R.A. Members.

It is hard to read the copy, but, The War Department letter indicates:

Mr. Lawrence F. Glenn is a member N.R.A. (and gives a membership # and occupation - Forman .... ).

p.s. I offered to 'buy now' this combination mainly to get this letter. Oh, bother!
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2018 at 5:47pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
I was out when it ended.  What I was thinking is that perhaps the DCM rebarreled it with a star gauged barrel, and included the old  servicable one, for a little bit more.  You'd think there would be some mention of the star gauging though.  It was an old barrel, had the square edge to the shank.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
I doubt the DCM and U.S. Armories were messing with 'Star Gauge' barrels on Krags in 1933.

They were likely getting this old stuff out of storage facilities to have storage space. Look at all the Krags destroyed by the New Cumberland (Pa. Depot) Guards in May of 1929.

It is fortunate the Government started selling Krags to NRA members for $1.50. It probably saved a lot of rifles.
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2018 at 4:30am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint