Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
NEW TO KRAGS (Read 1738 times)
JABGUTHRIE
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

NEW TO KRAGS
Apr 23rd, 2018 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
I have always wanted a Krag and recently acquired 2 rifles .  Being new I did not know what i was buying.  One is chambered in something around 24 cal.  The year 1918 is stamped on the receiver and the ser # is 19812.  It has a hole in front of the trigger guard.  The stock is short civilian looking and there is a screw that attaches the  stock at the front of the receiver.  What do I have?  The 2nd Krag is a US springfield model, it had a brass device added that prevented rounds from being loaded through the magazine.  This device was held in by a single screw through the side plate and is counter sunk  appears to be professionally installed.   Looking for help.

IP Logged

98src
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: NEW TO KRAGS
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Pictures would be a great help. The Springfield made Krag was modified to fire blanks...whether by Springfield or a movie studio is unclear. I did see several of them with the modification you describe at the CMP at Anniston, AL several years ago. The rumor at the time was that the CMP Director traded M1903 A3 Drill rifles for the Krags. Many of the Krags had movie studio markings such as MGM and RKO stamped on them.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
'JABGUTHRIE' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Your 1918 dated Krag, #19,812, sounds like it is a Norwegian model 1912 carbine in 6.5X55mm, (commonly called 6.5 Swedish Mauser).

These rifles were built at the Kongsberg Arsenal in Norway. (In 1918 the serial numbers ran to about #21,680). There should be a stylized Crown over the letter "K", on the receiver ring by the date.

Norway was under the control of Sweden until 1911, (note - I was mistaken. 'Parashooter' kindly informed me the Union was dissolved in 1905).
The countries shared the 6.5X55mm cartridge. Sweden adopted a Mauser arm, while Norway went with a rifle developed by Norwegian designers Krag and Jorgensen.

The Norwegian sling had one end that ended with a 'snap-hook'. The ring at the front of the trigger-guard was an attachment point for this 'hook'. There was also a ring mounted to the stock, behind the 'pistol-grip', to hook the sling onto.

The front sling-swivel was on the left side of a barrel-band, located about halfway up the 24" barrel. The stock forearm ran nearly to the muzzle.

A screw anchors the stock to the barrel several inches forward of the action.

Attached photo show an unaltered model 1912 "Karabin". Often these rifles will have a 'flat/checkered' bolt knob.
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2018 at 1:09pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
There are a few Norwegian Krags running around that have been rebarreled to .243 Win.  One company imported Norwegian Krags in the 60s and put them into sporter stocks with new made 243 barrels and sights.  Same was done in .308 Win.  There were many sporters made using the original 6.5x55.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint