Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
BCC Headstamped 30-40 Brass (Read 3028 times)
madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

BCC Headstamped 30-40 Brass
Apr 24th, 2018 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Grafs has a good deal going on some over run brass, made by Captech.  I ordered and received some.  It appears to be good quality, consistent in dimensions and weight, about 30gr heavier than the lot of Remington I have been using, they average around 183gr.  Well centered flash holes, primer pockets consistent in depth.  They are somewhat long to the shoulder, a crush fit in both my 92/96 rifles, one moreso than the other as it has had a later 98 barrel with the tighter chamber dimensions put on it.  I like being able to fit them to the rifle for the first firing!  I'm going to pretend the BCC=Bob's Custom Cartridges, but I think it's really Buffalo Cartridge Company , an Ohio loader(not to be confused with Buffalo Arms).  Just wanted to make you all aware!

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: BCC Headstamped 30-40 Brass
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 10:55am
Print Post  
yelp, pretty good pricing
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
It appears that many companies have taken notice of the recent scarcity... and cries (screams really) from us shooters for ammo and cases.  Now there are several companies stepping up to the challenge, including Graf and Sons, Hornady, BCC, Captech (who told me a few years ago that it would NEVER happen) and even Remington, who ramped up production of ammo recently.  The interest in shooting Krags in Vintage matches, the Theodore Roosevelt Match, and the resurgence in interest in Krags in general have certainly helped drive up the demand!  We all need to keep the demand going so we never experience the lean years again!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 16th, 2018 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Uh oh!  I'm running into a problem with these cases that I hadn't anticipated, rim lock!  This is at an OAL of 3.023" with the Hornady 150gr FMJBT.  It's sometimes happening in my chargers and they're jamming up. Once it carried on through into the rifle and the top round was locked.  I'll experiment a bit more with them, let you know what's up.  Could that bevel on the rim of the Krag case help them self sort better?

Oh now I remember!  I had to do some tweeking on the chargers to get them to feed the 311284 loaded a bit long.  I've been un-tweeking, and they're working better.  I still need to be careful how I load them.  With Paul's you can peek in the back and see if they're in there right, each with the rim ahead of the one above it.  An old one I made that doesn't work as slick as Paul's, is loaded from the top, so I can see the rims go in right.  Some of my tweeking pulled some solder loose at the top of Paul's, where the shoulder of the top round is usually stopped with the cartridges just the right angle to keep the rims aligned.  I'll have to get that fixed.  Mine never did work as slick as the Parashooter design, so I use it for the initial loading in rapid fire.  I have a sheet of brass coming to make myself a few more of Para's design.  I tried some aluminum sheet, tabs didn't last long with printing plate, and some other sheets I had would break when bent tight.
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2018 at 1:29am by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2018 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
It'd be nice if we could find someone with 3-D printing capabilities who could try and print a couple...  see how they work out.  I don't have a problem making them, and they do work slick as snot... but it's time consuming, and I'm pretty locked/pressed for time these days with family, home and work issues!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2018 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
I was talking to a guy on one of Swiss Rifle FB pages that was printing K31 chargers, and I mentioned Krag chargers.  He wanted a sample, and I wasn't sending the only one I have from you!  He might be selling his printed K31 chargers on ebay now.  I have retweeked mine and have them working good with the short 150gr loads. OAL seems to play a role in the rim lock I was getting.  Closer to the OAL of original rounds, I might not have had the problem at all.  The OAL of the 150s @3.023" leaves some room for the rounds to move to and fro.  You must've used some pretty low temp solder.  I started to resolder where yours had came loose, about where the shoulder of the case is.  When I heated that part, not very hot with a propane torch, the soldered joint on the back came loose.  Not a big deal with the gauge of sheet you used, they could really be made without the solder.  I simply folded them over, which makes for easier tweeking, but the stock you used is still thick enough that the the cartridges can't come out the top.  If I don't get rained out Sunday, I'll only have to use the chargers twice, I'll just be careful how I put them in there, though they seem to be stacking right now.  I had room on the printing plate model I made to cut another front tab, so it's back in service for awhile.  Some thicker printing plate might be a good option for me too, this was only .011".

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - May 19th, 2018 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
The solder I used is Lead Free silver solder.  I guess the reason I soldered them is for stiffness.  Para didn't solder the back flap... but I found it to be stiffer after I soldered it, and I didn't want there to be a chance it could bend and cause problems during a match.  Same with the back strap.  Someone (my dad actually) suggested I left the top open so it could be loaded that way... but I dismissed that idea.  The bottom line is that I wanted to make sure there would never be a problem during a match!

If you want, I'll try to get you another to send to the guy with the 3-D printing.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - May 19th, 2018 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Lead free explains it, tin melts at a much lower temp than lead.  It would be better soldered, especially for hauling it around where it could get crushed, like putting it in the bottom of your ammo bag.  I'll see if I can find that conversation on FB and let you know.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint