Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Franklin Mallory's - 'Rough Rider' carbine list (Read 2003 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Franklin Mallory's - 'Rough Rider' carbine list
May 2nd, 2018 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
I do not know the source, or material, that the list of, "Model 1896 Carbines Issued To Personnel Of The 1st. U.S. Volunteer Cavalry (Rough Riders) in 1898", is based on.

The list appears in Frank Mallory's book, "The Krag Rifle Story", 2nd. edition, Appendix 19. (I have also seen it published in other sources).

I don't doubt the list or question Frank Mallory's care as a researcher. I just admit I don't know the source for the serial numbers issued to specific men.

Some observations after reviewing 'The List':

The lowest serial number in the list is 26784. The highest is 79499.

193 men are listed.

There are only 188 carbine numbers. Five serial numbers are listed twice.

Six Cavalry Troops appear in the list: 'A'=2 carbines, 'C'=1 carbine, 'E'=1 carbine, 'G'=98 carbines, 'I'=90 carbines, and 'K'=1 carbine. For a total: 193 carbines, minus 5 (issued twice) = 188 carbines.

When the Rough Riders mustered out in 1898 and turned in their arms and equipment, sources report variously: 47 officers & 1,090 enlisted men or 52 officers & 1,185 enlisted men.

Being real conservative and dividing 188 Known carbines, by 1,090 enlisted men, reveals less than 18% of the specific Rough Rider carbines are known.
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2018 at 8:04pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Franklin Mallory's - 'Rough Rider' carbine list
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2018 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
The 1st U.S. Vol. Cavalry (Rough Riders) consisted of 12 Troops. When the unit embarked for Cuba, four Troops were left at Tampa, along with most of the horses.

Reviewing company or troop rosters and looking at casualty and wound information, I believe Troops C, H, I, and M remained at Tampa, Fla.
(91 identified Rough Rider carbines, likely remained in Florida: 'C' Troop=1, and 'I' Troop=90).

Troops 'A', 'B', 'D', 'E', 'F', 'G', 'K', and 'L', were shipped to Cuba to take part in the Santiago campaign. 102 of the documented 'Rough Rider' carbines were with these units. 'A' Troop=2, 'E'=1, 'G'=98, and 'K'=1.

101 of the documented carbines were with Troops apparently engaged on Kettle Hill and San Juan Heights, on July 1, 1898, (Troops 'A'=2, 'G'=98, and 'K=1'). 'L' Troop was involved, but, their arms are not documented.

(I don't believe Troops 'B', 'D', 'E' with one documented carbine, and 'F' were engaged at 'San Juan Hill').

All eight Troops of the Rough Riders, in Cuba, saw action and received casualties. Some units were involved in fighting at Las Guasimas on June, 24th, and at Santiago on July 1st and 2nd.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint