Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Smoky Powder (Read 1336 times)
Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Smoky Powder
May 11th, 2018 at 12:51am
Print Post  
Below is a link from "Journal of the Military Service Institution - 1900". There is a fairly good read titled "Smoky Powder" and is apparently an article written by a soldier from that year along with some attitudes towards the U.S. Magazine Rifle. There may be other articles that may be of interest to some. Kinda gives you some insight of the times. It is on pages 203 to 218.
(You need to Login to view media files and links)
#v=onepage&q=board%20on%20magazine%20gun&f=false
It is kind of a technical read in the beginning, but I don't think you will be disappointed if you read on. In fact, I feel there are some very delectable tidbits.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Smoky Powder
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2018 at 1:52am
Print Post  
When moved-up to the U.S. battle lines before San Juan Ridge, the 33rd and 34th Michigan Vol. Infantry were told by Krag equipped U.S. Regulars, "To guard our flanks and rear, and Do Not to Fire"!

The Michigan troops were equipped with model 1873 Springfield rifles. The day before, the similarly equipped 71st N.Y. Volunteers had returned fire. The white smoke brought a rain of Artillery and Rifle Fire down on the American positions. The Michigan volunteers complied).

(p.s. - The 34th Michigan's most valuable contribution to the Santiago Campaign was roads and bridges. Being largely made up of Copper and Iron Miners & Timbermen, they improved Cuban roads and built an 'impossible' bridge in a day. During WW1, the Upper Peninsula unit were Engineers).

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2018 at 2:52am
Print Post  
It is amazing to me that the magazine rifle still had to be defended against the Springfield Trapdoor as late as 1900. In 1901, and maybe even earlier, the government was already looking at the Krag-Jorgensen design being replaced and entertaining thoughts of an automatic design.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2018 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Here's some smoke. 51st Iowa Vol. Inf. February, 1899, near San Roque, Cavite Provence, P.I.

Most are shooting 'Trapdoor' Springfield rifles, but, there are a couple of men in the 'ranks' that appear to have Krag bayonets. The web belts of those two appear to be blue. Maybe, they are with the Artillery Battery?

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - May 12th, 2018 at 3:29am
Print Post  
Hey, have you seen Hickok45 smoke some pot with a U.S. Magazine Rifle on Youtube? I hear it's legal.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint