Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
A scope I don't recommend (Read 1961 times)
madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

A scope I don't recommend
May 14th, 2018 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Some time ago I bought an S&K mount for my K31 and a Hammer's 2x20 pistol scope to perch atop it.  I got sidetracked when I found a Noske scope for the side mount I already had.  I thought I'd give the scope a try on my Krag, using the Hornady 150gr FMJBT loads I've been playing with.  It looked pretty good on there, eye relief right about 1/2" ahead of the back of the handguard, only 1/8" above it.  I found that like the Noske, the Hammer's had an adjustable objective lens that I could adjust to my seriously hampered right eye vision. I got it mounted on the parkerized rifle with a short Krag Haus mount and gave it a few trials.  Today I got to the range and things started well, shot the attached 5rd group, expecting the first one to be high from the clean barrel.  The other 4, pretty good.  Then I decided to try to get just a tad more focus with the objective, so as to eliminate a double of the elevation crosswire that I was seeing.  Then off to shooting at the SR-1 that was to the right of the target just shot.  I was hitting on the target I'd just shot instead of the SR1 a ft away!  I should have known better than to mess with the Hammer's.  Pretty good optically, but a weird design that has the reticle back close to the ocular lens.  Their 6x24x50 was one of my first ebay purchases, and a very accurate 6x45 AR told me it would not hold zero.  I have a UAG 2x7x32 in low Bushnell rings that worked well  on my Krag before.  It too is that weird design and I found that any flex in the ocular bell equals a change in POI.  There are several brands like this on ebay that vary in quality, but sell for about the same price.  NC Star, UAG, AIM.  NC Star seems to be of better quality.

This time, I'll adjust the ocular bell so I can see through my glasses!  Ever try to bore sight a rifle with your ocular bell adjusted to your bad eye?  You can't see the target through the bore without your glasses dummy!  Boresighting says I'm close!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: A scope I don't recommend
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2018 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
In order to get the short Krag Haus mount to work with a handguard for the 98 and 02 sights, some slight removal of material is needed at the front.  I'll get some pics of that later.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 15th, 2018 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Better scope, though it's even cheaper than the Hammer's and of a similar design.  I can't recall what I was shooting when I last had it on, but it didn't take many shots to get it on paper, then walk it to the zero I wanted.  I'm going to leave it dirty till this weekend then shoot it in a 50rd no sighter match! That'll be shot from 200 & 300, then 600 reduced for 300, ought to be fun.  I'll be using the 150gr FMJBT and load I've been shooting out of the BCC brass.  Some of those I've neck sized, loaded, and fired three times, still easy extraction.  I'm finding about .0005" solid case head expansion after 3 firings. The scope, being able to zoom to 7x is technically not legal, I think the limit is 4.5x.  But if they can't live with me setting it to that, I'll take the iron with me and put it back on.  Still have the same zero with it, and the scope didn't improve things a whole lot.  Just makes how much I wobble around in my old age more visible!
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2018 at 3:33am by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 18th, 2018 at 2:04am
Print Post  
After piddling with the scope a bit, I thought I'd better check zero, one more time.  Had to go up and left a bit after the first 4, then shot this group of 5.  I'll see if it'll get through a 50rd match.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2018 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
Shot the match, well most of it.  I petered out after the 41st round, when I found I was shaking so bad it wouldn't be safe for me to be launching bullets!  I started out figuring I had the 100yd zero set so that I'd be on at 200, but my first shots were low, out of the black.  My shooting was atrocious all though the match, and it seemed the scope wasn't responding to clicks up, but then again, it must have cause I got back in the black at 300.  It's just me, I'm getting too weak to do this anymore.  Worms and germs and time!  Paul's charger, and a copy I made from .011 printing plate worked very good, I was able to get all rapid fire rounds off and on target within a time limit of 70 seconds!  I like shooting the sitting rapid fire!  67 on that string, the best of the day, which hints at how bad the rest of the day was!  Nothing wrong with the rifle, nothing wrong with the load, judging by the groups above.  I'll test the scope more from the bench to take out as much of the operator error as I can.  During the prone slow fire, I tried keeping hold of the bolt handle, like the Norwegians do, and using my middle finger on the trigger.  That worked pretty good!  I had more pull back into my shoulder than I get trying to grasp the skinny wrist of the 92/96.  Maybe I'll practice that some and give it a go in rapid fire one day!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint