Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Camp Perry load? (Read 2441 times)
madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Camp Perry load?
May 29th, 2018 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Perhaps.  Having had some success with the Hornady 150grFMJBT and boosted WC860 I decided to see what Nosler 168gr BTHPs would do with a similar load.  5.7gr 10B101, 44.5gr WC860 in twice fired BCC brass, with CCI#34 primers.  I had the barrel warm from shooting ten of the 150gr loads before shooting the two 168gr groups pictured. A fellow left me some nice targets out on the 100yd line.  The black was bit smaller than the SR1 that I usually use.  But they only had a couple holes, not in the black, so I figured I'd put some in the black!  Point of impact was up and right, compared to the 150gr load, which was hitting Xs on the SR1.  Top group was fired first, then a single one which impacted about the same though I had adjusted the scope.  A few more clicks down and left, then the five shot group pictured.  I had figured the Noslers would do better than the Hornady's.  Those were long ago purchased bulk bullets.  The boosted 860 load did much better than a lot of combinations with the same bullet that I tried before the match last year.  Recoil was a bit more than the 150s, but no more than the same bullet in my Garand over 49.5gr of IMR 4007.  I closely checked the locking lug, no evidence of cracking.
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2018 at 12:34am by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Camp Perry load?
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2018 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
very nice!

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 30th, 2018 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
I'd have liked it more if that one on the left hit in the middle of the other 4, but I'll take it.  Oddly my vision has changed to the positive side a little since I thread locked the ocular bell of the junky scope into place.  Reticle was pretty fuzzy.  Maybe it's the wild Maine blueberries I've been eating!  Now for some iron sight practice!

IP Logged

Hamish
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2018 at 3:21am
Print Post  
Bob,

am slowly catching up with the treasure trove of ammunition posts you have made the past months.

I'm planning on replicating your boosted loads in the 160 gr jacketed.  Some time back we were discussing them and you mentioned the positioning of the 10B101.  Are the posted targets shot with it in the middle of the powder column or have you reverted to the booster at the base on the primer?
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2018 at 4:03pm by Hamish »  

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2018 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
I put it at the base Rich, with enough compression of the 860 to hold it there.  I put the booster in the middle of the IMR7383, because the load it was intended for has a flash tube and a primer stronger than the regular 50BMG primer.  When you get that stuff to burn like it's supposed to, meaning without flame, it works real good too, but weighing three charges for each load is a bit of a pain.  I'll get some more 860 while up to Camp Perry!  That 160 should make you a good load.  If you have access to a chronograph, be sure and report the speed attained, and what sort of accuracy you get.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint