Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
krage barrel vice (Read 1983 times)
carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

krage barrel vice
Jun 8th, 2018 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
hi I have a krag barrel that would not unscrew the guy that installed it also invented super glue at the same time ... and I thought I had a good barrel vice and wrench ... so I made this barrel vice out of 1/2 inch aluminum a 2 inch chair leg and 12 3/8 inch bolts ... I just drilled a hole in the wood cut it in half and tapered it to a exact fit with a file worked real good ... thanks Carbon Outlaw ...

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: krage barrel vice
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
A different solution to a real problem. If you were wanting to salvage the barrel for another use yours is the ultimate. If the barrel were no good and only the only possible future use is a stake to attach to your dog chain, then a pipe wrench is as good as anything. Taper filing to an exact fit with a half round file shows you have some real skills.
Wowsers!

IP Logged

carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
I had my pip wrench right next to it the hole time I was trying to unscrew the barrel ... I used a 4 foot barker bar and couldn't get it to brake free so I went to a 6 foot bar and I really had to jump on it ... I did get it off with on scratches at all ... when I looked on you tube then suggested to heat the receiver up 300 degrees and then turn it they said to oil and cleaning solvent can glue the barrels on on older rifles thanks for you comment ... Carbon Outlaw ..

IP Logged

Hamish
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2018 at 4:09am
Print Post  
Kind of gives me the creeps having that monkey wrench so close,,,,,,, Sad

Grin

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2018 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
I've taken more than a few barrels off that had pipe wrench marks on them.  I think that after the 40s the Krags got relegated to boy's toys!  Any boy with a pipe wrench could become a gunsmith, didn't even need to take a course!  Today's parents would be appalled at the "toys" some of us had to play with!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint