Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Thank you (Read 3552 times)
Capt. Frank
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Thank you
Jun 15th, 2018 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
When I was looking for a starting load for my Krag rifle, I found a lot of very stupid B.S. on the web. I read through the suggested loads here, and tried the 220 grain load, (220 gr. Hornady RN, 40.0 grs. IMR 4350, Remington 9 1/2 primer). At the range, my rifle shot 1 and 3/4 inch groups at 300 yards with that load. Not all groups were that good, most under a minute. Thank all of you who suggested that load! I have a Model 1898 made in 1901, with the 1901 Buffington rear sight. I measured the bore at the muzzle, .306 on the lands, .308 in the grooves. With my 72 year old eyes, I actually shoot better at 300, than 100. I use MR 36 C high power targets at 300. My next endeavor will be 600 yards.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Thank you
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Thank You Capt Frank!

I'm a first time reloader who just finished mounting my press on a reloading bench.

I'll have to jot that information down for future reference.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Howdy Capt. Frank.

FWIW, the Hornady 220 gr RN/40 gr IMR-4350 load is about as close as you're going to get to the original .30 Army load.  It's what I use for my National Match and Roosevelt Match shooting, although I use the CCI 250 primer.

Happy shooting!
Paul

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Are kidding me?  The 220 gr. Hornady RN, 40.0 grs. IMR 4350, Remington 9 1/2 primer combination is most damagerous ammo known to mankind.  Why it causes all sorts of problems the least of which is arrogance in the minds of M1903 rifle shooters.  The worst known condition was bad breath in wooly mammoths.  And everybody knows what happened to them.  Danger City, Will Robinson!

Send all of your ammo to me and I will dispose of it in a safe and expedient manner.

BTW Welcome to the Association, Captain Frank.  Good shooting to you.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Culpeper wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 9:38pm:
Are kidding me?  The 220 gr. Hornady RN, 40.0 grs. IMR 4350, Remington 9 1/2 primer combination is most damagerous ammo known to mankind.  Why it causes all sorts of problems the least of which is arrogance in the minds of M1903 rifle shooters.  The worst known condition was bad breath in wooly mammoths.  And everybody knows what happened to them.  Danger City, Will Robinson!

Send all of your ammo to me and I will dispose of it in a safe and expedient manner.

Pay no attention to Culpeper... His doctor still needs to increase his meds!

Private Culpeper - For your punishment, I order you to report to Camp Perry on the 2nd of August for KP Duty, and again on the morning of the 3rd for Squad Duty on the firing line!!!  You may only dispose of ammo at the 200 yard target in 35 round volleys (one volley only)!!!

IP Logged

Capt. Frank
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Culpeper, I have not seen Robbie the Robot waving his arms, and shouting danger, danger Will Robinson. If you have, definitely up your meds!

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Heck no on the Meds.  Life is too short!

Have fun shooting the Krag.   ...if you dare.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Are you going to Camp Perry?

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 12:07am
Print Post  
LOL!  He's spent too much time in Africa.

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #8 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 12:20am
Print Post  
Au contaire, mon fere. Didn't stay there enough.  Was a good gig except for a paranoid, delusional, small man napolean type.  Sheesh what a story.

But now it is back to derka derka land, Afghanistan.  ...and a lot more moola.  (way lots)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Culpeper wrote on Jun 28th, 2018 at 12:20am:
...and a lot more moola.  (way lots)

Good!  Your favorite adopted son Paul (here after to be known as ME!) can always use a gift Krag!!!   Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint