Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Sporterizing In 1922 (Read 1803 times)
Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Sporterizing In 1922
Jul 7th, 2018 at 2:27am
Print Post  
Here is a question and answer segment from a Field and Stream magazine from June of 1922. The shooting editor is encouraging a subscriber to sporterize a Krag for hunting. An interesting tidbit showing the mindset of the day.

Here is the question:
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Here is the answer:

My 1896 sporter had the recommended "Sheard Gold Bead Front Sight" in a 1903 base. The front sight base was beat up so I replaced it with another 1903 base and a Marbles bead. Although my barrel is 6" shorter than the issued 30", it is a 1903 barrel from the Rock Island Arsenal.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Sporterizing In 1922
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 3:01am
Print Post  
A cache of American Rifleman magazine 'clips' from the late 1920s and early 1930s have recently been posted by "rcathey", on the Military Surplus Collectors Forums, under the heading 'Krag Rifles'. IMHO - These period pieces make for an interesting Read.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
I agree that reading sporting magazines from this era is quite interesting. Even the advertisements are of interests. In one of them I read an article about the debate of gun control. Instead of 1922 it could have been written today, the same arguments given by both sides are still being used. Below is a link to a series of monthly magazines of Field and Stream from 1922. I'll being check out the American Rifleman mags.
g+rifle&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjh_q_luI_cAhWK5YMKHUXrAmw4ChDoAQhDMAU#v=onepage&q=
fur%20fish%20and%20game%20krag%20rifle&f=false

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Interesting to note that he was talking about pressure, without the then normal CUP.  Johan, of Western Powders, told me the limit for Krag loads, expressed as PSI would be around 47,000.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
madsenshooter wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 4:04pm:
Interesting to note that he was talking about pressure, without the then normal CUP.  Johan, of Western Powders, told me the limit for Krag loads, expressed as PSI would be around 47,000.

In 1922, piezo transducer pressure measurement had not been developed. Measurements were made by the "crusher" system -  copper for higher pressure, lead for the lower ranges. All results were commonly expressed as "pounds per square inch" (p.s.i.).

After WWII, piezo systems were gradually perfected and adopted by most labs and standards organizations. Since piezo results were expressed as "p.s.i." the C.U.P. (Copper Units of Pressure) and L.U.P. (Lead . . .) terms were developed and applied to results from crusher systems.  This became a source of confusion to amateur enthusiasts unaware of the change in systems and results.

The table pictured below is from a Hercules load data pamphlet dated 1987. Note that some older cartridges do not have established "p.s.i." standards. (SAAMI still has no piezo standard for the .30/40.) Also note how the relationship between the results is neither linear nor consistent - cartridge pressure, shape, and volume all add unpredictable variation.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint