Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Krag Sporter Marked 1894 (Read 849 times)
Marty
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag Sporter Marked 1894
Jul 9th, 2018 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
I am new to this forum and have need of information from the members that know the 30-40 Krag Springfield Rifle. The rifle has been Sporteried! But it was nicely done and is a great Deer Rifle.

I have had a Springfield 30-40 Krag for a few years now and thought I would ask information about it. I have done some research but am stumped on exactly what I have. It is a Sporter, 24 " barrel Marked 1894 with a 5 digit serial number starting with 10xxx. What do I have? I do not need price as it is not for sale ever. Oldest Son gets it after I am gone. I posted two pics as I couldn't get the rifle in one shot. Thank you.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag Sporter Marked 1894
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 4:25am
Print Post  
'Marty' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Your Krag is modified from a U.S. model 1892 infantry rifle. Springfield Armory began producing this model in 1894. The barrel was originally 30 inches long.

Serial #10XXX would have been produced around December, 1894 to February, 1895.

When it entered 'civilian hands', someone shortened your Krag's barrel to 24 inches and re-installed the original front-sight base. It appears a couple of screws are showing where your Krag's original rear-sight was mounted (with two screws) to the barrel.

Your rifle's rear 'peep' sight is a Lyman #34. This was an 'after-market' commercial sight, that was patented in 1895 and last in Lyman's catalog in 1943. This sight required two new tapped holes in the receiver and the removal of some Stock wood.

Your Krag's gun-stock was made from an original military stock. It has been shortened at both ends and rather nicely checkered.

Nice 'old timey Deer rifle'.

(I took the liberty of playing with your pictures).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint