Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Two Things I Learned Yesterday (Read 6376 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Two Things I Learned Yesterday
Reply #15 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 2:49am
Print Post  
Years ago I did a lot of bullet casting, but, it was pure lead for CW Rifled-Muskets and Carbines and eventually, Rev. War Flintlock Muskets.
I was good at it, but, it was a necessary chore, like cleaning black powder arms. I didn't enjoy that part of the hobby.

Cast bullets with smokeless powder rifles is a relatively new area for me. 
I enjoy shooting and reloading a lot more than the 'Alchemy' and experimentation of Advanced Bullet casting. I prefer good and easy bullets, predictable results, and known successful 'recipes'. I guess, I am just lazy.

I sure do respect the guys that tinker and shoot cast bullets well, though! 

IP Logged

Hamish
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 11:51am
Print Post  
I hear you loud and clear!  I don't want a lot of mental gymnastics either.  Minimal fuss smelting, casting, and lubricating are a huge priority for myself also.

If so inclined, Roto-Metals will make alloy to your specification on demand! Cool

IP Logged

badgeredd
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Thank you Hamish for the link to this sight. A big Howdy to all of you and a Hello to Madsenshooter.

Madsenshooter and I discussed the copper enhancement of bullet alloy several years ago on another forum. I really don't know what his alloy is or which babbitt type he uses. I have primarily used the type 2 babbitt because I have quite a bit of scrap that my Dad collected while working on the railroad. I have used type 1, 3, and 11. My experimenting has convinced me that 1/4% copper in a balanced alloy gives me the best results. More copper gives little improvement GENERALLY. That said, anyone that has gotten really good results with more, I'd like to hear from you.

It is an imperfect way to alloy the way I do because I make some assumptions. One of said assumptions is that clip-on-wheel weight lead contains about 3 1/4% antimony. For many my way will work well. I use an alloy calculator to arrive at my alloys. I have found that if one "balances" the alloy, few if any problems occur. By balanced I mean the tin content equals (or nearly so) the sum of the copper content and the antimony content. MY best results have been with an alloy of about 2 1/2 % antimony, about 0.15 to 0.2% copper and about 2.7x% tin. I would caution that a significantly higher tin content that the sum of the antimony and copper will cause problems with bullets stabilizing at their hardness and size for quite a long time (in one case,over 6 months and the alloy was still unstable); while keeping the elements in the proportion I gave will allow rather good stability after 2 week after being cast. I water drop or heat treat my casting to achieve maximum hardness for high pressure loads but your experience may differ.
If anyone would like more information on my experiences with copper enhanced alloys, please ask. Thanks for reading my short (?) summation of my experience with copper in bullet alloy.

Edd

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Aug 1st, 2018 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Edd experimented with it a lot more than I.  I've simplified the matter and just use a few certain types of lead based babbitts that have a specific gravity of around 10, when I can get em cheap.  I may add a little pure lead to get the weight I want, not much.  I don't know the specific amount of copper in the alloy I use.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Aug 1st, 2018 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Just in case your hunting babbits... Roll Eyes

Here's some nice information about using babbits for bullet casting as well as a website that sells babbit metal.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Man, I sure do learn a lot from you guys on the KCA forum!!! Smiley

IP Logged

Hamish
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Aug 1st, 2018 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
br,

This just came up in the For Sale on Cast Boolits.  Rotometals price is $21 per pound plus shipping,,,,,,.  Might want to move on it.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Aug 7th, 2018 at 5:20am
Print Post  
An interesting tidbit I learned about babbitt's came from a late 1930s patent.  Seems adding tellerium, a byproduct of lead smelting, makes a babbitt alloy that will work harden.  I size my bullets down in steps to give the bands a bit of that work hardening.  I don't know what all brands might have tellerium added though I suspect it became a standard practice to use it when the patent expired.  Work hardening babbitts may have played a significant role in the war effort.  Rich, genuine babbitts are tin based babbitts and have a very high percentage of tin.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint