Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Theodore Roosevelt Match 2018 (Read 5689 times)
psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Theodore Roosevelt Match 2018
Aug 7th, 2018 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
Well, I hope everyone who attended had a great time and great results!  I did ok, but not as good as I could have:  I shot an awesome 96-3X in Prone, but pulled most of my shots low in Rapid for an 83-0X, and then shot a 68-0X in Off Hand for a total 247-3X.  Next year, I'm not leaving without a medal!!!   Here's a link to the video of my Rapid string:  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

Here's a few pictures:  The last picture is my son Ronald.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Theodore Roosevelt Match 2018
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2018 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Good cadence, Paul, and plenty of time to spare. Your 'Charger' worked real good.

Hey, get some Big Boy Pants! I understand, Redford is retiring from the Movie business.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2018 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
How did you get the picture of the target?

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

kerry49
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 12:16am
Print Post  
In looking at the CMP Camp Perry result, I counted 50 Krags and 134 1903's. The top Krag finished 9th. A lot of competition from some good 1903 shooters.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 1:30am
Print Post  
The official numbers are

Krags      51
1903     132
1903A3     1
Total     184

This year's winner of the Mook Trophy with the high Krag score was Bruce Rounds II.

Hey who let the A3 in there?

2018 was a bigger year for the Match.  the number was smaller in 2017.

Krag      39
1903      56
Not recorded      4
Total      99

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #5 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 5:19am
Print Post  
Tip for next time:

After the 5th round, don't operate the bolt until after charging the magazine. This saves some hand motion and a few seconds. With practice, re-charge can be done without taking the butt off your shoulder, leaving more time for aim and squeeze.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #6 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 6:29am
Print Post  
Upfront admission - I am NOT a highpower shooter in competition, and I may well be full of crap, but, that said:

Another (gentle) tip for next time: watch some of the "stangskyting" videos on YouTube, and note that they never lose the cheek weld, and do NOT dismount the rifle either between shots (even if only a bit) OR reloading. The bolt handle is never released from the thumb and index finger, except to insert the charger, and the trigger is pulled by the middle finger. A phenominal rate of speed is obtained.

Now - it appears that their time limit is shorter than yours, and you did not lose any shots, but it still stands to reason that every second NOT performing some mechanical function, especially unnecessary ones, is a second that could be spent aiming.

Just a thought, and I wish you all the best - would certainly like to attend, but that is not in the cards.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
I made use of that technique, in both standing and prone.  I can't blame my poor performance on giving it a try, my problem is I can't see my front sights.  Big difference between in the shade under the roof of the bench and out in the sun.  Best my higher and wider front post got was when it resembled an exclamation mark, and that was when it was above the target in the blue sky!  Same was true of all my iron sighted rifles.  I need some variable focus glasses, or something that goes on my glasses that'll alter focus.   To my shame I have to admit, I enjoyed shooting that pogo stick-like thing with a Ted Williams scope on it more than the rest of my rifles.  Did much better with it too! 97SF, 96-3xRF, and nevermind the offhand score. A little offhand practice and I'll likely be using it more than the others.

IP Logged

Capt. Frank
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Now wait! My '03 is an A-3, a Remington, off the bench, it has shot 1 3/4 inch groups, with 168 grain match ammo.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
There was one 03A3, but that shooter had to shoot out of competition (Only Krags and 1903s can shoot for placement in this match).  Also, I truly appreciate the advice from everyone. 

Dick, I would be honored to shoot with you in this match... but I do understand.  We'll have to remain friends of distance for now.

Culpeper, my son stuck the camera lens up to the scope and snapped the picture... somehow, it worked, LOL!

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #10 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Ah.  Guess he did get lucky.

So a Remington 1903, not a Remington 1903A3 is good to go on the firing line for the Roosevelt (spit) Match?

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
psteinmayer wrote on Aug 8th, 2018 at 11:36pm:
There was one 03A3, but that shooter had to shoot out of competition (Only Krags and 1903s can shoot for placement in this match).

Yelp, I scored him and noticed he had an A3.  Though his card was marked 1903.  I made the correction on his card after Centerline advised to make such a notation.
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
psteinmayer wrote on Aug 7th, 2018 at 2:12pm:
Well, I hope everyone who attended had a great time and great results! 

Paul,
Great video and nice pics!  Much fun had by all.  My score was better than last year's train wreck but a long ways to go, 252x3
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 1:19am
Print Post  
One thing that did rub me wrong was the lack of medallions this year.  The last two years, silver and gold received silver and gold medallions, and everyone else received a bronze medallion.  This year however, they were not giving medallions to everyone... only 255 and above!  I kind of think that's a little cheap on the CMP's part considering you at least get a tee shirt in other matches! 

Anyway, I'm glad everyone had a fun time.  Next year, we'll have to plan to meet up somewhere after the match and take a Krag shooters picture!!!

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #14 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 3:00am
Print Post  
It might weigh on you, as it would me, but the matchs are not charity.  They are there to provide a place to shoot and for us to place value on our participation and to fulfill the congressional mandate just the same as people putting on the State Fairs.  The sponsors don't have those (fairs) for their health.  They are there to make moola for other projects.

If the Corporation lost money on the match by giving every one a participation medal, they lost money.  If they broke even, they still lost money.  The result is still the same.  The endowment was not moved down the road in a positive fashion and the next generation of Michigan citizens and the ones after that may not have the venue to show off their skills and civic duties as citizens of their respective countries in this American Union.
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2018 at 8:50am by Culpeper »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint