Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Krag loading gate-follower question (Read 1852 times)
Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag loading gate-follower question
Aug 8th, 2018 at 12:29am
Print Post  
In the building and testing of my Krag speedloader I’ve noticed something about the loading gates on my constabulary and scout krag rifles. The gate on my constabulary opens farther than the one on my scout. Is the follower supposed to stay flush to the top edge of the gate or be exposed? The exposed follower seems to  interfere with the operation of my speed loader. Also the scout gate spring is stronger than the constabulary spring. Do I need to replace it? You can see the difference in the photo. Thanks
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2018 at 2:40am by Baltimoreed »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag loading gate-follower question
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
I can't tell for certain because of the photo angle and shadows, but, your 'scout' rifle may be a model 1896 action with a model 1898 magazine-gate?? (I'm judging by the bolt-collar and stock 'cut' for the bolt-handle).

Attached photos compare a model 1896 rifle (left) and a model 1899 carbine (right).

Notice the rounded rear-corner of the 1896 gate and the more square rear corner of the model 1898/1899 gate.

(An incorrect gate may fit on an 1896 or 1898 action, but, alter the movement of the follower assembly. Make sure you have the right gate for your action).

Photographs at a slight angle distort appearances.

FWIW - On both of these actions, it measures about 9/16 of an inch from the outside of the receiver wall to the closest edge of the follower.

The two model 1896 actions, that I have, seem to require less effort to open and close than the several 1898 & 1899 actions I tried, today.

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
My constabulary is dated 1899 while the scout is dated 1898. Both have the more square rear corner gate. My concern is how much farther the gate opens on my 1899 and is this a potential problem indicating a weak spring. Pardon my ignorance but I’m assuming that the spring that holds the gate closed is also the spring that powers the follower? Currently I don’t seem to have cartridge feeding issues.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
If it works .... screw it up!

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Thanks, butlersrangers. In the words of Sgt Apone, “Nobody touch nothin.”

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
FWIW: 'Baltimoreed' - I took the liberty of copying your 'Constabulary' Rifle picture and marking the location, that should measure approximately 9/16 of an inch.

(In photographs of two Krag actions, up-close and side by side, the camera angle distorts appearances and makes comparison difficult. I can't trust my eyes and have to measure).

Your model 1899 ('Constabulary') might have a model 1896 follower-arm assembly, that doesn't quite fold and retract, like an 1898/99 one. (?)

There is a flange on the bottom of the magazine-gate that touches the lower receiver and limits the travel of the gate. So, unless metal has been removed, gate travel is 'fixed'.

(BTW -There is just the one spring that powers the follower-arm assembly and tensions the magazine-gate).

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
One more thing....

The Krag magazine-gate has a 'lug' that engages a 'niche' on the follower arm. This is what retracts the follower-arm for loading.

If metal has been removed from this 'lug' or the niche it contacts, the amount of travel of the follower-arm is likely changed.

(Also, the angle & fit of these parts may be different in model 1896 and model 1898/99 parts. If a 'mixed marriage', things might not quite work right)?

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 1:44am
Print Post  
It measures 9/16 inch at the point you indicated. But why is my gate opening so wide? Time to take it apart. I just swapped out the ?gate and hinge bar pin with another gate and pin that I had. It’s not as pretty but doesn’t seem to open any where near as far as the original one. Opens like the gate on my scout. Other than a whole lotta crud on the original gate, pin, spring etc I didn’t see anything broken. Both of the squarish gate studs looked the same, I didn’t think to mic them. Must have been wear on the original gate. Looks good now.  Thanks, BE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint