Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 Possible un modified 1892??? (Read 9352 times)
psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Possible un modified 1892???
Reply #15 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Hi John.

The inaccuracy may stem from the lightweight spitzer bullets.  Krags are funny beasts, and almost human in their love of "food."  The original Krag load was a 220 grain round nosed cupro-nickel jacketed bullet with 40 grains of Laflin & Rand .30 powder.  The closest you'll ever get to this with todays components is a 220 grain jacketed bullet with 40.0 grains of IMR-4350.  The IMR-4350 (originally made by Dupont) is practically a clone of the old L&R .30 powder in composition and burn rate.  Most of us use the Hornady 220 grain RN Interlock bullet, which has an exposed lead tip, but follows the same dimensions, meplat and ogive of the original bullet.  However any 220 grain RN bullet will do. 

There are other loads that shooters use that work amazingly well too.  I have a friend who shoots a 150 gr RN bullet (normally a 30-30 bullet) and he WINS matches!  The point is to try several different loads and bullets and find what works best and is the most accurate in your rifle.

This is a great forum with TONs of helpful people who will gladly help you figure out anything you need to know about all things Krag!

Maybe next summer, you can venture to Camp Perry and shoot in the Roosevelt Match with other Krags.  Unless Culpeper makes it next year, you'll likely have the oldest Krag on the firing line!!!

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #16 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
He just might, Steinmayer.  I was planning on bringing 3140 next year.  I know it shoots well from a bench.  Just need a taller front sight to bring the POI down.

The main trouble is getting the shooter in condition to shoot well.

Hey, Jon.  What state are you in?  And Heck yeah!  Bring that old girl to the Roosevelt (spit) Match. 

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #17 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Jon Waite wrote on Aug 12th, 2018 at 11:47am:
Would you guys know where to try and track down a cleaning rod? Real or reproduction i would be interested. Also any idea what bayonet and sling would have came on it? I would love to get this rifle back to its original glory.

I do not want to cool your passion of the moment but do send for Joe Farmer's book before you start to spend money on other stuff. 

The photo section of KCA can answer eighty-one percent of your equipment questions.  Research before buying will get you the rest of the way.  I bought a lot of items for too much money through my ignorance.  Bought #112 from a founding member of the KCA and discovered way too late it was upgraded to 1896 specs.  He never mentioned a thing about it as he was taking my money. Angry

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Jon Waite
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys. I live in central Illinois.  I would love to make it there but with a newborn at home it is gonna be tough. Will periodically shooting this gun hurt the value? It sounds like this is relatively a rare rifle. Also, where would be a good place to find out value for insurance? And maybe a line on cleaning rod and bayonet and sling?

IP Logged

Jon Waite
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Ok thank you culpepper!

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #20 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
If you buy a bayonet make sure it has a scabbard.

(You need to Login to view media files and links); (Otto is a good guy last time I bought from him)
14867 M1892 Krag bayonet with scabbard.  Marked US on the right ricasso and 1895 on the left ricasso.  Blade is BLUED (Correct for 1895 only).  Grips retained with flush rivets and the scabbard is a 1st pattern with the open belt hook.
(culpeper - correct scabbard)

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 1:13am
Print Post  
Blued blades were not 1895 only, probably not 1895 at all, or just a few early in the year

Re: Magazine Rifle
Reply #23 - May 5th, 2018 at 7:36am
     Quote Print PostModifySplitRemove 
We all have things to learn from these discussions. I recall (a little foggy now though) a dispute a number of years ago between Bill Mook and other Krag collectors, Scott Duff for one at the Baltimore show about blueing of early bayonet blades. There it is in the 1895 report:
"(4) The blueing of parts of the bayonet discontinued, as the heat of the niter bath was found to injure the temper of the blade"
Good solid information many thanks

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #22 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 2:11am
Print Post  
Farmer's research of the matter shows the engineering change was dated 1895 04 01 as published in Krag pamphlet of 1917 by Ordnance. So there is a posibility of an unknowable quanity of early 1895 bayonets being produced.  The picture is proof that blued 1895 bayonets are extant.

Otto just needs to correct his write up a bit.

IP Logged

olderthansome
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 10:18am
Print Post  
On the subject of bayonets and blued blades:  I have a couple of 1894 dated bayonets with at least some amount of blue still showing.  The 1895 dated blades are, I think, harder to find than the 1894.  The report on blued blades is from April, 1895, but did they date bayonets with calendar or fiscal production dates?

On shooting this rifle, I would strongly resist the temptation till the stock is repaired - again.  In the meantime, I would look for help in finding a serviceable stock without a repair.  The repair you have is probably "of the period" and may even be the reason this rifle survived with only the change of the rear sight.  I have an identical repair on an L C Smith that belonged to my wife's grandfather.  He broke the stock in two sometime around 1900 and did shoot it successfully a couple of times, but in the 55 years  we've had the piece, the repair has loosened and I think shooting yours would have similar results.  I've been told that there are modern methods that may save our shotgun, but to break it again by shooting, may make a another fix impossible.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #24 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 10:48am
Print Post  
My point is that blued bayonets are not 1895 only (should have deleted the probably none from my post but got in a hurry Sad) The change was early 1895 so depending on monthly production numbers some but likely not many 1895 bayonets will be blued. Fiscal year and calendar year do tend to cloud things at times also. 
I have seen later dated bayonets that were blued, certainly after official service for what ever reason.
With this in mind I would want to look very closely at a blued 1895 bayonet.
I am not passing judgement on the bayonet in this thread.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Donald Hartman's Book "The U.S. Krag Bayonets", page 31, "Krag Bayonet Modifications", indicates that the Krag bayonet was issued blued (blade, pommel, guard) in 1894 and that the finish was discontinued on April 1, 1895

Mr. Hartman's book also includes a reprint of a letter composed by Col. Mordecai, Commanding Officer, Springfield Armory (dated March 9, 1895), recommending that the blade be left bright.  Col. Mordecai's recommendation was due to the reason stated above by Ned Butts and also due to the coating of the blade being destroyed/marred by digging, cutting and inserting/withdrawing from the scabbard.  Also the cost savings of not bluing the blade was a consideration. 

As stated many times on this site... do your research, However, I often learn a Great Deal by my mistakes!  Especially when my wife hits me upside my head and says "Why in the H_ _ _ did you do that!"

Here's an Ebay item that requires some thought and knowledge.

Hope I'm not stepping on some toes by posting this Ebay item.  I Just thought it would be a nice educational subject.  I actually like the bayonet!

BTW: Welcome and awesome Krag Jon Waite... I am so envious!!!

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #26 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
We are all here to learn something new and to further the Krag rifle fraternity of oneness and brotherhood.

cue the music

We shall gather by the river...

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #27 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Jon Waite wrote on Aug 12th, 2018 at 3:11pm:
Thanks guys. I live in central Illinois.  I would love to make it there but with a newborn at home it is gonna be tough. Will periodically shooting this gun hurt the value? It sounds like this is relatively a rare rifle. Also, where would be a good place to find out value for insurance? And maybe a line on cleaning rod and bayonet and sling?

Butlersrangers and I both live in Michigan (Me near Ann Arbor, and BR near Flint).  Where in Central Illinois?  My father was born in LaSalle and we still have family there!

I will let someone else more knowledgeable in values speak to that... but unless it's museum quality, shooting it won't hurt a thing, unless you physically damage it.  Try googling "Grandpa's Gun Parts" for a cleaning rod.  Not sure if he'll have one for the 1892/94, but he has just about everything else. 

As for the sling, there are several that are correct.  Originally, the 1887 sling would have been used. Later, the 1907 sling (for the 1903 Springfield rifle) was authorized.  If you do plan on shooting in competition like some of us do, you'll want to use the 1907 sling, which helps with position shooting.  As far as I know, Turner Saddlery has the best (Mr. Turner obtained all of the original Rock Island sling equipment and makes them to exact spec)!  Turner also has the 1887 sling.  All of my leather slings are from Turner.  There are several other sling companies whos products are good also.  Also legal by CMP rules are the web slings used on the Garand Rifle.

Hope this all helps.
Paul

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #28 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Can anyone help Jon Waite on the U.S. model 1892 Cleaning/Clearing Rod specifications: dimensions, head type & profile, and thread on 'small end'?

I've got no specifics. I suspect one would have to be made. Don't know of any source!

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #29 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 4:49am
Print Post  
Found lots of three piece rods on the WWW but no original/reproduction one piece.

Looked at all my usual parts places with no luck.

Listed below is information taken from "The Krag Rifle Story" and "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine":

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint