Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 New member - new krag (Read 7344 times)
quietriot
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

New member - new krag
Aug 29th, 2018 at 6:39am
Print Post  
Hello everyone.  I just acquired an 1898 Krag.  I believe it is a rifle cut down and in a carbine stock.  Serial # is 97291.  That should put it comfortably out of carbine territory.  The stock does look like a carbine, though.  The receiver has been drilled with 4 holes for, I think, a weaver mount.  It is missing the rear sight and upper hand guard.  I don't think its worth it to buy an authentic sight and hand guard because its already been cut down.  Also, there is a dovetailed semi buckhorn sight where the original would sit.  I think the dovetail is cut over the front screw hole.  The semi buckhorn sight is terrible.  What sight options do I have?  Is it worth drifting the buckhorn and trying to add a krag sight or use the side scope mount?  Thanks.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New member - new krag
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 10:42am
Print Post  
I'll beat everybody else to the punch. Pictures will help. Also, to what purpose will the rifle be used? And welcome.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
The serial # you gave should be a model 96.  Four equally spaced holes could be for an old Williams Mount.  I just sold one!  Initially Williams used the same mount that fits on the Remington 8 and 81.  They later changed to one with three holes for the Krag.  They no longer make their side mounts!  Two and two grouped together could be for a Weaver mount as you said.  Put a scope on it if you can find the right mount.  Good for accuracy testing of loads, and if you're getting up there like most of us here, it helps to be able to see what you're shooting at!  With the scope, you'll have a way to shoot it while you contemplate what to do about the sight.

IP Logged

quietriot
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 2:53am
Print Post  
OK here are a lot of pictures I took today.  Working graveyards stinks. 

I got my 1898 serial number from this site.
(You need to Login to view media files and links)
It shows my serial number falls withing the 1898 date. 

The rear sight is missing and I think the dovetail has been cut over the front hole

No "C" marked front sight
I also heard that you can tell if its been cut down by muzzle diameter.

The bolt also has a "F" marked on it.  I'm not too sure what this stands for.

Up close of the cartouches

OK that was a lot I know.  Mostly I want to know more about this rifle/carbine.  I know I'll take a deer or a hog this season with it and it will be a range pinker mostly. 

The receiver is clearly stamped 1898.  How can it be a 1896 model?
Do you think I can mount an original or reproduction rear sight?
What is a good mount to use with the existing holes?

Thanks everyone for your input.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 3:45am
Print Post  
Sure looks like a model 1896. See how the base of the bolt handle rests in a bed of metal in the receiver. You won't see that in an 1898. Also, the metal is distorted near the end of the stamped 1896. The top of the six may have been pulled down during this distortion making it look like an eight.

IP Logged

quietriot
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 4:12am
Print Post  
Knute1 wrote on Aug 30th, 2018 at 3:45am:
Sure looks like a model 1896. See how the base of the bolt handle rests in a bed of metal in the receiver. You won't see that in an 1898.

Are you talking about in the 4th picture the bit of metal behind the bolt handle?

IP Logged

quietriot
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 4:28am
Print Post  
Well holly smokes!  I see what you are talking about.  I was also looking at the serial # chart wrong.  I was keyed up on 98's and didn't even look at the 96's made in 98. 

Seeing where the rear sight is, do you think the barrel was shortened from the chamber end?  I have heard that has been done.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 10:57am
Print Post  
You went above my pay grade with that last question. Hopefully, a more Krag educated member will respond. But I would be looking for evidence of rear sight screw holes, could be filled in. The existing rear sight dovetail can't cover more than one of the two holes.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2018 at 12:47am
Print Post  
'quietriot' -Welcome to the KCA Forum.

As others have indicated, your Krag was built as a model 1896 rifle, (around March to May of 1898).

It is not uncommon for the stamped "model 1896" to look like model 1898.

There are differences in the 1896 and 1898 actions, most notable in the 'bolt-handle area'.

Your stock is a model 1899 carbine stock that has been altered, around the bolt-handle notch, to accept the model 1896 action.

Your barrel may actually be a Krag carbine barrel. Your front sight base appears correct. Krag carbine barrels measure 22 inches exactly, from the muzzle to the closed bolt-face.

A lot of Krags got put together from mixed parts by surplus dealers, like Bannerman's and Stokes Kirk, back in the 1920's and 30's. Carbine length arms were preferred by sportsmen.

If you cannot find an original rear-sight screw-hole on your barrel, it may have been filled with a screw that was cut and filed flush.

Your action is missing its magazine cut-off lever. This can add some roughness to cartridge feed.
Your stock appears to have a crack in the wrist area, starting near the rear trigger-guard screw.

Your action appears drilled and tapped for a Weaver side-mount. A version is still available. The Krag uses the Number-2 base and 1 inch-rings #49350. This mount positions the scope slightly offset to the left, which is necessary for 'clean' ejection. The scope will also interfere with moving an original Krag safety-lever to the 'Safe' position.

Another good sight option is the (discontinued) Pacific and Redfield "No-Drill" Receiver sights that show up on ebay, periodically.

IP Logged

quietriot
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Aug 31st, 2018 at 2:18am
Print Post  
Thank you a lot.  I didn't realize how much of a mut rifle I have. 
I knew the stock had a crack in it and it shoots just fine.  The guy I bought it from got it from his ex father in law and it has been like this the whole time he had it. 
I'll measure the barrel length in the morning when I get home.  I keep forgetting to do that. 

The no drill sight on the left in the pic you attached goes in the mag cut off hole?  I can't tell how it secures to the receiver. 
Can the bolt be removed with those in place?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Aug 31st, 2018 at 3:23am
Print Post  
Both the Pacific and Redfield sights required that the Krag magazine cut-off be removed.

The Pacific sights have a shaft that slips into the cut-off hole. A normally 'hidden' set-screw locks the sight base to the receiver. The slide on the Pacific is easily removed to allow Bolt removal. A set-screw on the slide allows easy return to the sighted-in position.

The Redfield sight has a 'claw' that hooks into the cut-off shaft opening and a longer 'replacement' side-plate screw to hold the sight base in place. If the sight slide is fully raised, the bolt is easily removed. A set screw on the slide allows return to sighted-in position.

The Redfield system can leave a rough spot in the feed path; there is an easy fix.

Both companies made a micrometer version of their sight. These are more expensive and clumsy for bolt removal.

IP Logged

quietriot
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Aug 31st, 2018 at 3:31am
Print Post  
Thanks!

IP Logged

quietriot
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
More info.  The barrel is exactly 22 inches long measured from bolt face to muzzle.  I can't find a "C" on the sight.  There is something that may be a "C" but its too worn to be sure.  I can't seem to get a good picture of it.

Here is an up close of the sight dovetail. 

I want to drift the rear sight off and replace it with a Pacific Gun Sight model that uses the cutoff hole and a screw.  I'm having trouble locating one.  Does anyone have one for sale or know where to look?  There is a Redfield hunting sight on eBay.  Are those just as good?  The one I'm looking at doesn't have a screw.  Is that a deal breaker?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
'quietriot':

Your barrel is an original U.S. Krag carbine barrel, as evidenced by the quality of the front-sight attachment.

If your front blade is a model 1896 or 1898 carbine blade, the "C" is normally on the left-side and positioned low and out of sight. The blade was intended to work with the model 1896 carbine rear-sight.

The model 1899 blade is taller and has the "C" normally on the right-side, in plain view. The blade was intended to work with the 1901 and 1902 carbine rear-sights.

A replacement Redfield 102-K "side-plate" screw can be made from Krag and 1903 Springfield barrel-band/sling-swivel screws or stacking-swivel screws. (It is best to alter reproduction screws. The thread is unusual - .187"X 26TPI. You won't find these at ACO).

Reproduction screws appear on ebay or can be purchased from S&S Firearms, Glendale, N.Y. Their catalog can be viewed online.

Pacific K-1 sights show up from time to time on ebay.

Both Redfield and Pacific 'no-drill' sights work fine. Because they usually sit higher than issue Krag rear-sights, a rifle blade .413" tall, (out of its base), is often required.

IP Logged

quietriot
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
OK, No "C" on either side of front sight. 

EDIT: There MAY be a "C" on the left side but so hard to read I'll say no.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint