Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 New member - new krag (Read 7351 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New member - new krag
Reply #15 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
A model 1896 carbine blade has to be taken out of the base to view the "C".

Note - An original sight pin is slightly tapered and should be driven from left to right, to remove.

Your pin appears a bit 'mushroomed' on both ends. It is likely a replacement/homemade pin.

Your blade may possibly just be a filed-down blade or homemade. You have to see the whole blade to tell.

IP Logged

quietriot
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
OK, thanks.  I'm sure it is a carbine but don't have a desire to take the blade out.  I just want a sight that is better than the semi buckhorn sight for hunting in a few months.  I'm on the prowl for a receiver peep.

IP Logged

carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

Reply #17 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
hi from carbon outlaw ... how i get krag scope mounts is I go on EBAY and type in "vintage scope mount lot" and usually you can get them fairly cheep I look threw them and I always save the ones for krag and remington model 8 and resell the lot ... any sight that is identified as krag sells for a lot ...

IP Logged

quietriot
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the input.

IP Logged

carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

Reply #19 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
hi back again ... the Redfield model 70kt and the model 102 I get on EBAY also type in "Redfield sight" and look though then or type in "krag" and look though those listings ... Here what I do if you find a Redfield Krag sight there really expensive 100 to 200 dollars most of the ones I find are under "vintage sights" or I buy ones that were dropped and all bent up and I straightened them out or get other model 70 or 102 and trade parts and fix them ... also I have got a few that were rusted and cleaned and polished them and had them re blued and sold them for a lot of money ... If you buy a sight make sure you get the longer screw with it there really hard to find ...

IP Logged

quietriot
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
So far the ones I have seen don't have the screw.  Right now there are only 2 for sale.  I'll have to wait longer...

I have see Redfields #70 sight with micrometer but description says mounts to right side.  Are these for a European Krag?

IP Logged

quietriot
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
You wouldn't want to sell one of those would ya? Grin

IP Logged

carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

Reply #22 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
I sell on EBAY ... I see the ones for the right side it seams they are Lyman sights and you have to tap and drill .. I went to home depot to try to find a screw ha ha ha ... then I gave up and started to make my own screws I make them out of brass and they turn out very nice ... some how you can type in my user name "carbon outlaw" and look at my previous posts and I tell how to make your own 26tpi swrews ...

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
The Weaver #2 Base comes with screws and is often very cheap (brand new) on ebay.

The mount with rings, that 'clamps' to the #2 base, is harder to find and sells new for about $30 to $45.

Brass gun screws just don't look right to me.

Repro Krag and 1903 swivel-screws can be found on ebay and S&S Firearms. Shortening the screw and 'reducing' shaft diameter (above threads) makes a serviceable replacement for the Redfield 102-K and 70-K sights.

(IMHO - The Redfield 70 KT - 'target' and 70 KH - 'hunter' are nice looking sights, but, the 'micrometer adjustment' makes them cumbersome for gun cleaning, because there is no quick-release. It is easiest to simply remove the whole sight in order to remove the bolt).

IP Logged

quietriot
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #24 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Wow thanks for the specs. I can't find a site with a screw and will need to get a replacement and then it down.

IP Logged

quietriot
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 12:27am
Print Post  
It's been a while.  I bought a Redfield 102KT.  The seller sent me the wrong sight so I had to wait for a return and re send of the right one. 
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Once installed I noticed the sight sits down on the extractor hinge on the bolt.  Is this normal?  I still have the buckhorn rear sight that came with the rifle and the new rear peep doesn't line up with the buckhorn and front sight.  It's a tad bit higher.  Is there a fix or did I somehow install it wrong? 

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #26 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Another more modern option is to use the KragHaus scope mounting system.

You can view previous member postings if your interested in that option.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #27 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
quietriot wrote on Sep 26th, 2018 at 12:27am:
. . . Once installed I noticed the sight sits down on the extractor hinge on the bolt.  Is this normal?  I still have the buckhorn rear sight that came with the rifle and the new rear peep doesn't line up with the buckhorn and front sight.  It's a tad bit higher.  Is there a fix or did I somehow install it wrong?

You can buy or make a taller front blade to allow zeroing with the higher line-of-sight provided by the receiver sight.

IP Logged

quietriot
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #28 - Sep 29th, 2018 at 12:23am
Print Post  
Well shoot I didn't think of that.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #29 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 4:57am
Print Post  
Mention was made of the Redfield sight that goes on the right side above.  I think when Redfield made the transition to alloy, circa 1965, they dumped the whole no drill and tap idea, with its complex cuts and extra hardware and went with a couple models of alloy sights, one with coin slotted 1/4 minute knobs, "The Trophy" and another, "The Record" with set screws to lock the adjustment.  They went on the right, like a Lyman and required drilling and tapping.  They didn't last long after that switch to alloy, until 72.  There was a period, just before the change to alloy, that they made a steel model 102NK, that fit the Norwegian Krag on the right side.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint