Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Interesting Display - British Line Throwing Guns (Read 1741 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Interesting Display - British Line Throwing Guns
Sep 18th, 2018 at 6:29am
Print Post  
The Michigan Antique Arms Collectors Show always manages to have several very interesting displays.

The club provides tables, has a competition, and gives special recognition Awards to members, who put together themed displays of historical arms.

One that I particularly enjoyed, last weekend, was Paul Breakey's display of British 'Line-Throwing' Guns. A type of arm seldom seen and poorly understood, these days.

A related piece in the display was a Japanese 'Harpoon Gun'. It was built in Tokyo, on a Martini Action. The gun was carried on a Japanese Navy Vessel, had a fascinating history, and a 14 & 1/2 pound iron butt-stock!

Paul Breakey is a remarkable authority on a wide variety of arms. He has an amazing collection of British Military Arms. He is a great resource to fellow collectors and is cited in many scholarly Arms publications.

Paul kindly gave permission to post this picture on the KCA Forum.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Interesting Display - British Line Throwing Guns
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
WOW... great display!  So sorry I missed it.  I got tied up and couldn't make it to the show  Cry

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Interesting Display - British Line Throwing Guns
Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2018 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Had the ‘pleasure’ ??once of using the H&R version of one of these critters at the fertilizer plant where I worked. We used it to launch the oil boom across the mouth of the barge slip every month for practice and unfortunately once in a while for real. It used .45-70 blackpowder blanks and shot a 3/8 inch brass rod and kicked like 2 mules. I allowed my younger coworkers to shoot it. I did have a steady supply of once fired .45-70 brass though.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint