Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
DCM Carbine Paperwork (Read 1607 times)
Charlie 33
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

DCM Carbine Paperwork
Sep 20th, 2018 at 4:05am
Print Post  
I have a Benicia Arsenal DCM carbine with the original bill of sale from 1929. Can anyone tell me how much the value of the rifle would be increased if I can prove that it was modified at the arsenal by cutting the length of the barrel to 22" and installing a Model 1903 front sight ( it says so on the invoice )? BTW the price was $3.50 for the rifle, M1907 sling for $1.31 and $.40 for a M1916 cleaning rod coming to a grand total of a cashier's check for $5.21. Any educated guesses would be appreciated as it is time for this rifle to move on. Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

98src
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: DCM Carbine Paperwork
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
I think the invoice would add 100% to the value of the rifle, i.e., 2X the normal value of a nice cut down rifle. Maybe more....who knows. If you decide what you want for it, PM me.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
'Charlie 33': Welcome to the KCA Forum.

As I stated, on the 'Military Surplus Collector's Forum', documented DCM/NRA 'carbines', with an actual Benicia Arsenal 'bill-of-sale', are pretty rare birds.

It would be helpful to Krag hobbyists to see clear & close-up pictures of your "DCM/NRA carbine" and related paper-work.

This would also help in establishing an accurate 'value range'.

IP Logged

Charlie 33
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2018 at 3:05am
Print Post  
Good evening butlersrangers. As I stated on Milsurps the rifle is in a shipping container in Las Vegas. Yesterday I made arrangements to have it shipped to Kingman on 9/25. When I get it I will post pics of the rifle and the paperwork. I'm just trying to get a feel for how much the provenance adds to the value of the rifle. As I stated the other day it's somewhat of an orphan, but with a pedigree. I posted here because this site appears to have a larger following. Thanks. Oh, BTW I purchased this rifle about 30 years ago from the niece of the original owner at an estate sale.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2018 at 4:28am
Print Post  
Thanks! Looking forward to seeing photographs, especially of the front-sight/muzzle crown area, forearm tip, stock 'cartouche' & markings, and rear-sight.

IMHO - With supporting paper work and legitimate parts, I imagine your DCM/NRA carbine's value would be comparable to a model 1899 carbine in the same condition, ($600 to $900).

It is kind of an advanced, serious & knowledgeable collector piece. This model was made by a US. arsenal, but, lacks Military and historical use.
(It is a scary model for many collectors, because it is easily faked, and many people have been burned).

In my experience - A well done cut-down rifle, that is not a real (documented) Benicia DCM carbine, will get priced at $300 to $400, if bore, wood, and workmanship are real nice. They can be hard to sell.

Actual value of your Krag will depend on condition, condition, and condition.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint