Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Never though I'd have one (Read 2178 times)
Lethemgo
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Never though I'd have one
Sep 22nd, 2018 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Happened to find this rifle so now the adventure begins. Want to see if it fires before i invest in the rest of the parts. Appears to be in decent enough shape. The guys brother in law started stripping her down but at least he had found a stock to put it in years ago before he lost interest. I will need to find a barrel band, nose cap, rear sling mount, and a butt plate. Can't wait to get this quest going. Happened to find this rifle so now the adventure begins. Want to see if it fires before i invest in the rest of the parts. Appears to be in decent enough shape. The guys brother in law started stripping her down but at least he had found a stock to put it in years ago before he lost interest. I will need to find a barrel band, nose cap, rear sling mount, and a butt plate. Can't wait to get this quest going.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Never though I'd have one
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2018 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
And guys complain about their K31 buttstocks looking beaver chewed!  Better than nothing though, and still usable after all.  Keep us posted on your progress.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2018 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Glad to see another Krag rifle coming back to it's former self. I've had luck with S & S firearms when getting a sporterized Krag back in shape and needing parts. Enjoy and let us know your progress/final results.

IP Logged

Suredan
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2018 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
At least you have the handguard; that’s a big challenge these days. The stock can be made to look much better with care. How does it the bore look?

IP Logged

Lethemgo
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2018 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
The bore looks good. Rifling is still deep but of course needs a cleaning so I'm hoping to get to that tomorrow. Get a brush through there and than some wipeout probably has never had the copper cleaned out of it.

IP Logged

Capt. Frank
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Normal (Hoppes) cleaning did not do the job on mine. Using Krill Oil and JB's bore cleaning compound did.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Looks like an old 1894 rear sight on a Model 1898. If you can find the parts that fit, you can have a nice Krag rifle for blasting away!

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Lethemgo,

Welcome to the KCA.

You have a very well loved 1898 rifle that appears to have been born in the the month of March 1901.

Whig mentioned that you have an 1894 rear sight, however, it appears to be a 1901 rear sight.  A nice close-up photo of the rear sight would help determine if it's a rifle, carbine or rare Board of Ordinance and Fortifications modified sight.  A 1901 carbine sight would have a "C" mark on the base, leaf and slide.

Currently, all the parts you require can be found on Ebay or you can look at some of the more common Krag parts sources, listed below, like as mentioned previously S&S Firearms or Grandpa's Parts:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

For cleaning rifle bores I like to use Sweet's 7.62 Solvent.  Does a good job removing copper fouling.

Can't really tell... but has the barrel been chromed or has the bluing been removed?

Looks like a fun project and I hope it shoots well!!!

« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2018 at 8:07pm by Local Boy »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint