Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 new krag carbine (Read 4470 times)
carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

new krag carbine
Sep 23rd, 2018 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
I went to our local gun show here today and guess what I found buried in with the ar15 ... A krag in very good condition for 550.00 dollars and including a extra barrel ...

IP Logged

carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

Re: new krag carbine
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
more pictures

IP Logged

carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
so I looking on the internet for information on what the " J.F.C." on the stock meant ... It said its a " scarce altered carbine with a 22 inch barrel" and is a "Springfield Philippine Constabulary Krag "

IP Logged

olderthansome
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 6:28am
Print Post  
When the real experts get here they will be able to give you a ton of very good information.  Until then, I'll limit myself to some bullet points that I'm sure every one will want to address.

First, did you buy it?  Do you have a picture of the extra barrel?  The serial number would indicate that this piece is from the last few months of production which would put it far later than the Constabulary or School rifles.  Those that were actually the constabularies were almost all made from 1899 carbines which were all produced with 22" barrels.  There would be no need to alter barrel length to produce new, special design.  What would have been needed was a new stock which would be different from this one.  The Constabularies had the barrel trimmed at the muzzle - not length, but diameter - to accept a bayonet.  The hand guard on this rifle looks like it was made for a Model 1894 which was shorter than the standard rifle.  The end nearest the muzzle looks to have been "shaped" a little to give it a finished appearance so, I guess it could also be an 1896 rifle hand guard that has had some work on the end.  The experts can confirm by dimensions and maybe by rivet spacing l think, so we'll have to wait for their input.  There will be a lot of information coming which I'm sure will be helpful for you.

Now, the best part:  The rear sight you've pictured is (or at least the leaf is) graduated for the 1896 Carbine sight.  It carries the correct appearing "C" and the base should have a similar "C" as well. You can check that detail.  Until we consider the rear sight, the rifle you have (?) was probably a 'parts' gun.  In fact, it still is a parts gun.  But, the rear sight is very special part and on a good day worth the whole asking price.  The hand guard - if correct, is probably worth a nice little amount as well.

Now we can wait for the opinions to come along.  But it seems like a fun piece anyway and might even be fun to shoot.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
This does look interesting on first glance but raises many questions that we need more pictures to help answer. I don't see any pictures to show the muzzle end of this rifle. Can we get some nice close ups of the muzzle and front barrel band area? One picture shows that there is no front barrel band but the cut off needs to be seen. The rear sight looks like it might be an 1896 Carbine sight from the top but, as olderthansome said, it could just be the leaf. The J.F.C. is very intersting but is way too nice and not worn to be real, if indeed it is a Constabulary rifle. These are just not seen for real. The upper handguard looks to not match the stock from color and wear. The serial number and receiver is not a Model 1899 which is where we would expect the Constabulary rifle to be situated.

I don't have my references handy but these are some of the initial questions. Is the muzzle turned down to fit a bayonet?

So, thanks for showing pictures and giving us lots to consider. Please try to post more pics when you can. Always nice to have another mystery with our beloved Krags!

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Wow!  I'll pay you $600 for the Krag!!!

The 1896 carbine rear sight alone has been going for $500-$600 lately.

I can't quite make out the serial number.

As others have stated "clear pictures of the muzzle and front sight" would help a lot.

According to Brophy's "The Krag Rifle", All Springfield-made PCRs were marked with the inspector's cartouche, J.F.C.   However, not all PCRs will have the cartouche because of being manufactured at Benicia, Rock Island Arsenals or modifications done in the PI by the U.S. Ordinance Manila Depot.  The cartouche looks good to me but their are individuals who will stamp things to make them appear authentic.

Mallory's "The Krag Rifle Story" indicates that the standard sight used was the Model 1901.  Another interesting note is that at least 39 Model 1898 carbines were converted to PCRs.
(three at Springfield and 36 at Rock Island).

The rear peep sight appears to be a Redfield Model 70 but I'm not a peep sight expert.

Even if your Krag is not the REAL DEAL... it would be a fun project to turn it into a PCR replica.  Regardless, it's Kool Krag that I wouldn't mind having!!!

OK, one last offer... How about $650 bucks?  Wink
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2018 at 2:41pm by Local Boy »  

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #6 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Aren't there enough Phillipine clones out there already?

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

Reply #7 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
more pictures ... I took the redfield sight off and replaced selector lever ... here is some picts of the barrel i got with gun ... the barrel has been shortened and the front sight is on a dovetail I dont like buying from dealers they ask to much The person I purchased it from said he has owned this rifle for years ... take a look thanks !!!

IP Logged

carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

Reply #8 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
more

IP Logged

carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

Reply #9 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
more

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
Culpeper's right... we seem to have too many replica PRCs lurking about!

I would turn it into one these!!!

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Maybe Carbon Outlaw could do the PCR build and ask Baltimoreed to make him a Kris sword Bayonet.  Look up earlier post and you'll see Baltimoreed's really cool Bowie bayonet handiwork.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
SRS from Mallory's book doesn't come back with a hit but does place it between two 1898 rifles assigned to the New Cumberland GRD... each of which had been destroyed.

« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2018 at 3:22am by Local Boy »  

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 1:31am
Print Post  
Late production serial number......maybe that is why the JFC cartouch

IP Logged

carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

Reply #14 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
so the rear sight is a 1896 sight then the hand guard is also a 1896 hand guard ? my 1901 sight is longer ... also when I first picked up the gun to look at it I thought the finger groves were a lot larger and deeper then my other krags .. was this a later model modification ???

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint