Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Bolt mounted peep (Read 2076 times)
Papa T
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Bolt mounted peep
Sep 23rd, 2018 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Hey there. New guy here. Picked up a barreled action a few years ago. Finally getting around to doing something with. 1912 Norwegian made in 1917. Very nice bore and metal throughout. Stock should be here any day. Any of you tried a bolt mounted peep? Would work better than barrel sights with my old eyes. Need some wisdom.

Society of Intolerant Old Men-Rifle Slut Division

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: Bolt mounted peep
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Such sights enjoyed limited popularity for hunting, but have some drawbacks - they are clumsy and suject to damage as they stick out like a sore thumb, they are only as solid as your bolt fit, and, some shooters are disconcerted by the fsct that the sight picture changes as the bolt goes forward. I wouldn't have one.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
I am not an expert on Krag sights especially for the Norwegian ones. The idea of putting a sight on something that can move a little seems dicey to me. Maybe they work better than one would expect by returning to the same spot each time when cocked.
  If a more rigid sight like the no drills will fit your Krag I do not know. If you search this forum Butler's Rangers has posted many photos of this type of sight with photos of the modified screw necessary to mount it. The carbine that Carbon Outlaw just posted photos of may have this sight. (You need to Login to view media files and links)
All that said I have seen a couple of photos of the bolt mounted sights, not sure if the fit the Norwegian or how hard they are to find.
I know every one here will like to see photos and progress reports as you work on yours.

IP Logged

Papa T
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Thank you for your comments gentlemen. I initially was going to use a frame mounted Redfield peep I had but it was for an American and there is enough difference it won't work. Looking at all sides.

Society of Intolerant Old Men-Rifle Slut Division

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
I have modified a Pacific no drill that was made for a US Krag to fit the Norwegian.  Doesn't take much.  I posted about it here.  Here's that thread,  (You need to Login to view media files and links) and I'll add a picture here of an unmodified base beside the modified.  It's a perfect fit, I made sure the gallows arm wound up square to the receiver.  In trying to feed a few rounds of .243, it appears I might have to get a bit brazed onto the end of the shaft, as it's shorter than the cutoff slot in the receiver and the rims of the rimless rounds were snagging.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 12:14am
Print Post  
Here's a pic showing the little bit I had to take off the backside of the Pacific to get everything nice and square.  I also have one of the Rice sights on one of my 92/96 sporters.  I don't see a thing wrong with it, I could hit with it when I could still see a front sight with my right eye.  A fellow on castboolits.com had a Norwegian in .308 and liked the Rice for his.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint