Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
 25 This old Krag Rifle is new to me (Read 20793 times)
Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: This old Krag Rifle is new to me
Reply #45 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 1:53am
Print Post  
Parashooter you are correct sir!  Thank you for the explanation and illustrations!!!

After my last posting I took a look at my 1896 rifle and carbine sights and realized my error.

Just too busy getting the yard ready for winter before I could post my mistake. Embarrassed

Here's some side-by-side pics.

Interesting note... The front of the carbine sight measured 0.23 of an inch while the front of the rifle sight measured 0.20 of an inch.
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2018 at 8:24am by Local Boy »  

IP Logged

boomer
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #46 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Great information about the rear sight!! Thanks to all of you.

IP Logged

boomer
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #47 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Is there any way to determine if the cleaning rod in this rifle is an original or a repop?  I have not found markings of any kind on this rod.

There was an earlier post where dimensions for a Krag (I believe from an 1894 manual which I haven't yet gotten a copy of) were compared to an Argentine cleaning rod.  I've taken the 'Krag' measurements from that post, added a column that has measurements Joe Poyer has in his book, and a 3rd column with measurements from the cleaning rod I have.

Krag            Poyer's Book      This One

Total Length      29 5/8            29.5 / 29.25      25 9/16
    Rod Diameter      0.196            .2" -> .189      .199 - .201*
   Head Diameter      0.259            .267               .266 - .268*
      Head Length      1.165            .95                  .95 to start of taper
Head Slot Length      0.430            .410               .430
  Head Slot Width      0.120            .110               .110
   Thread Rebate      0.181            .179                .175
              Thread      24TPI            26TPI               24TPI

* I found slight variations in the diameter along the length of the rod (or head) due to differences in corrosion, 'patina', etc.

Any thoughts on whether this is original or not?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #48 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Close-Up and clear photos of the rod 'head', (especially, where the color changes), and of the threads, may beget feedback and opinions.

IP Logged

boomer
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #49 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Oct 3rd, 2018 at 6:53pm:
Close-Up and clear photos of the rod 'head', (especially, where the color changes), and of the threads, may beget feedback and opinions.

I don't know what I was thinking (or not thinking) with that one.  I'm surprised I forgot to take a closeup of something this easy to get to.  Let me know if you want some additional photos.

« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2018 at 11:44am by boomer »  

IP Logged

boomer
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #50 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Here's another photo with the cleaning rod in place.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #51 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
The threads and head shape of your Krag 'cleaning-rod' look vey good to me. The area, where the patina color suddenly changes, appears to be the point where the rod clears the front barrel-band. The patina color looks very consistent with that of the barrel and front band.

IMHO - It has been on that rifle for a long time and looks legitimate.

(Others, on the KCA Forum, know a lot more about the early Krags than I do).

Boomer - Your excellent photos have been very educational. Your Krag is a wonderful 'time capsule' with a complete and correct bolt, its original serial numbered side-plate, and great non-updated features.

I even like the 'chip' missing from the Toe of your stock. This shows why the later Krag butt-plate was a 'curved one.

Good advice has been given in terms of just putting Linseed Oil on the wood and just wiping the metal patina with a quality gun oil.

I would advise contacting Movieman630 - aka 'Grandpa's Gun Parts' and seeing if he has a suitable front Stacking-Swivel and screw for an early Krag. A loose model 1892 rear-sight would be nice item to keep with your "Gem", just to show 'evolution'. (But, leave your Krag with the parts it came with)!

Thanks for sharing.

Hey, what history came with it and how was it acquired??

p.s. I love this picture: it tells volumes!

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #52 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Your rod looks like the rod on my 3140.  5MadFarmers has a good picture in his book.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boomer
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #53 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Oct 4th, 2018 at 1:31pm:
I would advise contacting Movieman630 - aka 'Grandpa's Gun Parts' and seeing if he has a suitable front Stacking-Swivel and screw for an early Krag.

I haven't reached out to Movieman630 directly, but I have checked 'Grandpa's Gun Parts' website.  They have a stacking swivel listed for an 1896, but not an 1892.  If I can't find an 1892 soon, I will put an 1896 on it for display until I find one that is correct.

Hey, what history came with it and how was it acquired??

Sadly, I have no history whatsoever - acquired at Rock Island Auctions.  I suspect it was in an old collection they were liquidating.  I may have paid too much, but it went for less than I expected.  Part 2 of that statement keeps me happy regardless of part 1  Smiley

p.s. I love this picture: it tells volumes!

My wife went with me when we picked the rifle up.  She was thrilled (ok, that's an exaggeration) with the rifle until she noticed the chunk of wood missing.  She wasn't happy about that until I explained how it told a story about the history of Krag rifles.

On another note, I will be taking some additional pictures later today that I will use to ask the next (final?) question I have about this rifle (correctness).  As a teaser, I will tell you the source of my question is visible in this photo.

IP Logged

boomer
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #54 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Culpeper wrote on Oct 4th, 2018 at 2:52pm:
Your rod looks like the rod on my 3140.  5MadFarmers has a good picture in his book.

Thanks for the info.

I visited their website a few days back in hopes of ordering that book.  The site doesn't look like it's had any activity in a long time, and I'm a bit reluctant to send a money order to something that is no longer active.  Instead, I sent an email to their "contact us" address to find out if the book was still available.  Of course, that email may not receive a response even if they have books to sell.

IP Logged

boomer
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #55 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
...Boomer - Your excellent photos have been very educational....

Thanks for that.  I try to provide good photo's whenever I can... they say a lot more in less time than I can type, and most folks like them more.  That's one of the reasons I still can't believe I didn't give any decent closeups of the cleaning rod earlier.

IP Logged

boomer
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #56 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
I've read that Springfield went to a flat head butt plate screw from a rounded head screw specifically to have the screw head flush with the plate - for the same reason they went to an angled toe.  One of the things I noticed when I first got this rifle was that the large butt plate screw was not sitting flush with the butt plate. I hoped the screw just wasn't seated properly, maybe the screw is wrong, or the screw hole has something 'blocking' it.  The screw was seated tightly and is identical to the one in my Krag sporter (and there was nothing blocking the screw hole).  What I noticed when pulling the sporter screw to compare it was that the butt plate in that rifle has a counter bore (??) the thickness of the screw head on top of the counter sink.  That allows the head to be turned in flush with the plate.  There is no such counterbore in the butt plate screw hole on this rifle, resulting in the screw head sitting proud of the plate.  I suspect the butt plate is the problem but will defer to the experts. 

IP Logged

boomer
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #57 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
And since you've seen pretty much everything else on this rifle, here's the naked butt with no lightening holes.  There is a marking from a previous owner that appears to have been made with a sharpie or something similar.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #58 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
How about an inside view of the butt-plate?

IP Logged

boomer
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #59 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Oct 4th, 2018 at 9:58pm:
How about an inside view of the butt-plate?

The butt plate is about .08" thick (it tapers at the edges), which matches the dimension Joe Poyer gives in his book. I haven't been able to find when they changed the screw type.  Did they change the screw being used when they changed to the toed butt plate?  Maybe this is right for originally issued with a round headed screw, which was then 'improved' to a flat screw. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint