Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  Send TopicPrint
 25 This old Krag Rifle is new to me (Read 20796 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: This old Krag Rifle is new to me
Reply #60 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 12:57am
Print Post  
Per Franklin Mallory, "Krag Rifle Story", 2nd edition, page 210, Appendix 9, the large screw, for the original type of model 1892 butt-plate, had a convex head.

It appears your current screw is of a later type and that a convex head screw would be a nice fit.

IP Logged

boomer
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #61 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 1:09am
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 12:57am:
Per Franklin Mallory, "Krag Rifle Story", 2nd edition, page 210, Appendix 9, the large screw, for the original type of model 1892 butt-plate, had a convex head.

It appears your current screw is of a later type and that a convex head screw would be a nice fit.

Thanks for sharing that drawing.  It does look like that screw would fit.  Now, the challenge of finding one.  I will look for that book as well.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #62 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 1:28am
Print Post  
boomer wrote on Oct 4th, 2018 at 4:17pm:
Culpeper wrote on Oct 4th, 2018 at 2:52pm:
Your rod looks like the rod on my 3140.  5MadFarmers has a good picture in his book.

Thanks for the info.

I visited their website a few days back in hopes of ordering that book.  The site doesn't look like it's had any activity in a long time, and I'm a bit reluctant to send a money order to something that is no longer active.  Instead, I sent an email to their "contact us" address to find out if the book was still available.  Of course, that email may not receive a response even if they have books to sell. 

Joe Farmer is one of the good guys as far as I am concerned.  You should not have fear.  He haunts Culver's  ( jouster2.com ) Krag forum.

Captain Culpeper of the KCA Irregulars

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boomer
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #63 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 1:46am
Print Post  
Culpeper wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 1:28am:
Joe Farmer is one of the good guys as far as I am concerned.  You should not have fear.  He haunts Culver's  ( jouster2.com ) Krag forum.

Captain Culpeper of the KCA Irregulars

Thanks for the recommendation.  That is good enough for me.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #64 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 2:25am
Print Post  
Boomer - You should search around for a reprint of the 1894 Ordnance Department "Rules For The Management of the U.S. Magazine Rifle".

These reprints don't cost much and contain lots of neat period information.

The 1898 and 1917 Krag reprints are more common and interesting to have. But, the 1894 "Rules" is the one you most need.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #65 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 3:05am
Print Post  
Here is an online copy of the 1898 print. Unable to find the 1894. You can download it as a PDF. It may be helpful until you find an 1894 copy.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)
t+of+the+u.+s.+magazine+rifle+1894&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwje-s-Npe7dAhUs9IMKHQeTB
uMQ6AEILDAB#v=onepage&q=rules%20for%20the%20management%20of%20the%20u.%20s.%20ma
gazine%20rifle%201894&f=false

IP Logged

olderthansome
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #66 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 11:53am
Print Post  
[quote author

Thanks for sharing that drawing.  It does look like that screw would fit.  Now, the challenge of finding one.  I will look for that book as well.
[/quote]

Since this first model was immediately following the Trapdoors which used a convex screw, you might try to find a later trapdoor from which you can "borrow" a screw to test the fit.  I imagine, that SA would try to use up old inventory wherever they could.  When I think about it, I think every butt plate that Springfield used from, at least the Model 1842 which is as far back as I can look at, had convex screws.  There should be some available at many shows.

IP Logged

boomer
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #67 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 11:56am
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 2:25am:
Boomer - You should search around for a reprint of the 1894 Ordnance Department "Rules For The Management of the U.S. Magazine Rifle".

These reprints don't cost much and contain lots of neat period information.

The 1898 and 1917 Krag reprints are more common and interesting to have. But, the 1894 "Rules" is the one you most need.

Excellent advice -- so I ordered one this morning.

IP Logged

boomer
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #68 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Knute1 wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 3:05am:
Here is an online copy of the 1898 print. Unable to find the 1894. You can download it as a PDF. It may be helpful until you find an 1894 copy.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)
t+of+the+u.+s.+magazine+rifle+1894&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwje-s-Npe7dAhUs9IMKHQeTB
uMQ6AEILDAB#v=onepage&q=rules%20for%20the%20management%20of%20the%20u.%20s.%20ma
gazine%20rifle%201894&f=false

Thanks!

IP Logged

boomer
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #69 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
olderthansome wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 11:53am:
Since this first model was immediately following the Trapdoors which used a convex screw, you might try to find a later trapdoor from which you can "borrow" a screw to test the fit.  I imagine, that SA would try to use up old inventory wherever they could.  When I think about it, I think every butt plate that Springfield used from, at least the Model 1842 which is as far back as I can look at, had convex screws.  There should be some available at many shows.

Great advice!  Thanks for the info/recommendation.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #70 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
In case "Inquiring Minds Want To Know ... ":

'Olderthansome' hit the nail on the head.

I woke up this morning considering the same idea of using a 'Trapdoor' butt-plate screw, as a replacement large screw, on an early Krag stock with a 'flat' butt-plate.

I took a 'Trapdoor' Springfield and tried its butt-plate screws, (they are both the same), on a model 1898 Krag's butt-plate.
(I do not have a model 1892 Krag to try this with ... hint, hint)!

The 'counter-sink' on the 1898 Krag and '1873 Trapdoor' butt-plates is not quite identical. The 'oval-head' 1873 screws were a credible fit and might fit correctly on a model 1892 Krag 'magazine rifle'.

BTW - 1873 Springfield butt-plate screws are not hard to find on ebay. S&S Firearms has them for $12, a screw.

IP Logged

boomer
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #71 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 5:29pm:
In case "Inquiring Minds Want To Know ... ":

'Olderthansome' hit the nail on the head.

I woke up this morning considering the same idea of using a 'Trapdoor' butt-plate screw, as a replacement large screw, on an early Krag stock with a 'flat' butt-plate.

I took a 'Trapdoor' Springfield and tried its butt-plate screws, (they are both the same), on a model 1898 Krag's butt-plate.
(I do not have a model 1892 Krag to try this with ... hint, hint)!

The 'counter-sink' on the 1898 Krag and '1873 Trapdoor' butt-plates is not quite identical. The 'oval-head' 1873 screws were a credible fit and might fit correctly on a model 1892 Krag 'magazine rifle'.

BTW - 1873 Springfield butt-plate screws are not hard to find on ebay. S&S Firearms has them for $12, a screw.

I agree that it is a great idea.  Thanks for taking the time to try that substitution and get photos of it - it looks like a much better fit than what I have now.  Right now I'm holding it as a 'Plan B'.

When I came up empty on all the likely websites - it struck me that there is a classified section on this forum - duhh!!  The very first classified 'sticky' (Dan Lowery) turned up a stacking swivel and screw that is correct for the rifle and he is currently checking to see if (and he thinks he does) he has one of the screws in question.  If he doesn't have it (I'll still get the stacking swivel and its screw), I'll check with the next person that lists parts for this rifle.  If none of those pan out, I'll move to 'Plan B' - hopefully as a temporary measure as I will keep looking.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #72 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Keep us posted - As 'olderthansome' surmised, the early Krag butt-plate screw may be, the same as, the one used on the 'Trapdoor'.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #73 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 1:51am
Print Post  
Just for a little edification, in The Ordnance Supply Manual dated 1904, the following was published:

"Butt-plate screw, large:  Head made flat in model 1896."

IP Logged

boomer
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #74 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
Dan Lowery has the correct butt plate screw.  So it and a correct stacking swivel & screw have been ordered.  While waiting for those to come in, I'll be cleaning/polishing the chamber.  I like to test feed / eject empty cartridges before even thinking about live ammunition (which I'm still debating with this rifle).  The cartridges on this one get sticky for the last 1/16 inch of travel before the rim seats.  I believe the binding is occurring where the neck steps down.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Send TopicPrint