Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  Send TopicPrint
 25 This old Krag Rifle is new to me (Read 20536 times)
boomer
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: This old Krag Rifle is new to me
Reply #75 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Went to a local gun show yesterday - mostly because I wanted to visit Bill Ricca's table (he's usually at the gun shows I call local) and pick up some Garand items.  He also had this Krag 1892 Rear Sight that I relieved him of. 
I'm not sure that I'll put it on the rifle for any reason other than taking a couple of photo's.  Other than that it will be a display item to go along with the rifle. 

Had a side photo as well, but even after shrinking them, I appear to be at the limit you're allowed to upload.  It appears I'm done as far as adding photo's goes.
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2018 at 12:04pm by boomer »  

IP Logged

boomer
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #76 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
How about that - Sunday USPS delivery.  The new 'old' butt plate screw, stacking swivel and associated screw arrived.  All have been installed.  Butt plate screw fits perfectly - except for the little bump above the butt plate that resulted in the need for a new screw style with the new butt plate.

Now to figure out what to do with photo's.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #77 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
I think maybe the KCA Forum is 'maxed out' on photo capacity, for now.

Maybe freeloaders, like me, need to send a membership donation to the administrators for the purchase of more capacity!

IP Logged

boomer
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #78 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Oct 14th, 2018 at 6:09pm:
I think maybe the KCA Forum is 'maxed out' on photo capacity, for now.

Maybe freeloaders, like me, need to send a membership donation to the administrators for the purchase of more capacity!

Thanks for reminding me.  I belong to a number of forums like this one.  Most I'm just a ghost, watching and reading, occasionally contributing.  Some, like this one, provide me with a lot of personal value.  This forum, for example has given me help with two rifles -- and the cost of membership is a drop in the bucket compared to the value of that help.  So, I finally found the 'membership' info and check is 'in the mail'. 

As an aside, I don't find the contributors - the sources of info such as yourself to be 'freeloaders'.  The wealth of knowledge provided is what keeps a forum like this going.

IP Logged

boomer
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #79 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
As noted in an earlier post, I received the order with an 1892 butt plate screw yesterday.  The first photo shows the screw that was in the rifle when I got it (top) and the early butt plate screw (bottom) that I just received.  The difference in the screw head is apparent. 

The second photo shows the screw installed in the rifle.  The edge of the screw is flush with the butt plate with the rounded head of the screw rising just slightly above the butt plate.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #80 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
The fit on this last screw is what I would call perfect. The line where the angle and "oval" come together is flush on the surface of the butt plate.
The machinists solution with the original screw would have been to countersink the butt plate deeper to match the screw, but that would have altered what appears to be an original and rare butt plate which would have been sacrilege in this case.
Well done on finding the right screw!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #81 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Tis a beautiful thing when appropriate parts come together!

It is fun how we all learn from such a project.

As a point of interest, here is an 'approximate' contrast between "boomer's" replacement model 1892 butt-plate screw (top) and a trap-door butt-plate screw (bottom).

They are similar, but, a bit different.

IP Logged

boomer
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #82 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Oct 15th, 2018 at 2:59pm:
Tis a beautiful thing when appropriate parts come together!

It is fun how we all learn from such a project.

As a point of interest, here is an 'approximate' contrast between "boomer's" replacement model 1892 butt-plate screw and a trap-door butt-plate screw.

They are similar, but, a bit different.

Thanks for sharing that photo - it explains quite a bit.

At first I thought it fascinating that Springfield would go to the effort of making a new screw style for the Krag, but given a few more seconds I realized it was a new and thinner butt plate that they went to - and the screw change was necessitated by that decision.  A quick check shows the later Krag butt plate thickness is thicker than the early by about the thickness of the 'fillister'(???) on the later screw.  Possibly the initial butt plate change was an attempt to save $$'s?

I don't have a trap door, but I expect if we compared later Krag butt plate with a trap door butt plate, we'd find they are close to the same thickness.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #83 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
I suspect the "trap-door" butt-plates were cast or forged.

They appear 'thick', but, the inside surface has hollow areas and support ribs, to lighten the weight. The screw counter-sinks are deep.

p.s. - I am glad one of our vendors provided you with the correct model 1892 Krag part.

IP Logged

boomer
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #84 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
This is the stacking swivel he sent.  As best I can tell, based on written description and a drawing, this appears to be correct for the rifle.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #85 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Nice looking parts. Good to see the 'old girl' complete! Now enjoy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Send TopicPrint