Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Remington 180-gr Core-Lokt at 2430 ft/sec... safe? (Read 2657 times)
Alan Klinzing
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Remington 180-gr Core-Lokt at 2430 ft/sec... safe?
Oct 4th, 2018 at 4:49am
Print Post  
I just bought an 1898 long Krag (for an insane deal, I might add), but I have reservations about shooting some new-production commercial Remington ammo... I foolishly didn't check the back of the box after I bought it, thinking that any comm ammo would be very underloaded considering the niche nature of Krags. When I got to my car though, I realized the box said the 180-grain  projectile would be moving at 2430 ft/sec. 2360 ft lbs. Pointed soft point.

Essentially, does this sound too hot for a long 1898 Krag? According to my gunsmith the rifle is in excellent condition and has no mechanical defects. .303 Brit speeds just seem too hot though. Also, does anybody know what PSI those rounds would be? I couldn't dig up anything.

(ammo pictured is unrelated to question, those are some 180-gr Super Xs)

IP Logged

Alan Klinzing
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Remington 180-gr Core-Lokt at 2430 ft/sec... safe?
Reply #1 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 4:55am
Print Post  
Specifically these guys:

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 5:17am
Print Post  
Alan - Welcome to the KCA Forum. You have a nice looking Krag!

I have used that Remington 180 grain factory loading in several Krags without problem. I suspect many of us have, in order to get a 'Brass Base'.

U.S. companies have loaded .30-40 ammo to safe pressure levels for the Krag, knowing it was the most likely rifle it would be used in.

Original Krag military loadings used a 220 grain bullet moving at 2000 fps.

Using a lighter projectile (180 grain) allows increased velocity without higher pressures.

BTW - I have found 180 grain Remington (and Winchester) factory ammo to be quite accurate and to feed smoothly in my Krags.

'Chuck Hawks Page' states Remington and Winchester factory ammo for .30-40 has a muzzle velocity of 2430, muzzle energy of 2360, at a pressure of 40,000 CUP. Propellant and bullet profile changes have improved velocity a bit.
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2018 at 6:26am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #3 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
It's like BR said.  It is good to go if the rifle is sound and it is factory ammo.

The only reloads that that should go in your rifle is the ammo you build on your press.  All other reloads are suspect and should not be shot even if it was made by your spinster aunt or Baptist rabbi.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
what I like best about the Lyman reloading manual is it give you C.U.P. pressures ... A lot of the time when reloading I will go with a power that has a low pressure ...

IP Logged

Alan Klinzing
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Thank you for all the answers! And my apologies for the late reply, forgot to check the forum. It's good to know I wasn't about to have the thing blow up in my face.

I finally got to shoot the thing and it handles like a dream. I don't think I'm ever going to get a deal like I did for this Krag again in all my life either. The only real "issues" are the loose front sight and oddly stiff magazine cutoff lever but otherwise the thing runs like a champ. Cheesy

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
If you 'work' a little black gasket seal or 'J B Weld', into the front-blade slot, it will set and invisibly eliminate the 'wobble'.

Cleaning and Lubrication should smooth movement of the magazine cut-off lever.

Here is disassembly instruction if needed:

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint