Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
New member with questions about Krag Carbine (Read 1203 times)
curmudgeon
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

New member with questions about Krag Carbine
Oct 16th, 2018 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
I collect post Civil War US military rifles.  I just acquired a 1898 Krag carbine (my first).  It is in decent shape (good wood and no rust) but it is missing the magazine cutoff.  What is a good source of Krag parts (magazine cutoff) and how do I know which cutoff fits my carbine?

Thanks.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New member with questions about Krag Carbine
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
'curmudgeon' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

The KCA Forum has three vendors, (listed in 'Classifieds'), who are good sources for parts. I have used 'Grandpa's Gun-parts', fairly often, with great satisfaction. (A model 1898 cut-off should be priced at around $15 to $20).

S&S Firearms, Glendale, N.Y., is a company that sells original and reproduction gun parts, with a catalog, viewable online.

You want the model 1898 'magazine cut-off' lever. It has the shortest shaft and is the only one that fits on model 1898 and model 1899 Krags. Earlier Krag cut-offs will not fit your action, because their shafts are too long.

If you post some close-up, detailed pictures of your Krag, (especially the sights, muzzle area, stock tip, and markings), members will give you useful feed-back.

BTW - Model 1898 U.S. Krag carbines are relatively hard to find, since only 5,000 were made. Lots of model 1898 rifles were cut-down for 'Hunting' and are often mistaken for Springfield made carbines.

Photo: The cut-off you want is the one on the bottom. The total overall length is about 2 inches.

IP Logged

boomer
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New member with questions about Krag Carbine
Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2018 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
In addition to butlersrangers suggestions, you might try the classifieds on this forum.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint