Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 How does the Krag avoid rim lock/jam? (Read 6475 times)
FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: How does the Krag avoid rim lock/jam?
Reply #15 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
I know that some of the members here were using 303Brit cases when 30/40 were not available. Published photos show a smaller bevel on them, any issues with rim lock or extractor riding over the rim?
Anybody loaded shorter bullets that would not fit "echelon" and purposely align the rims wrong? Can you even get rimlock on purpose?
Curious minds want to know!

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
While sizing up the 45/70 cases for consumpter I tried on purpose to get a rim lock with my 35/40 cartridges. It is quite hard to do, aiming the barrel straight up and closing the magazine door slowly I could get it to lock up. When this does happen the front of the cartridge goes down instead of up into the chamber. I did not try really hammering the bolt handle to see what would happen.
Laying a couple of cartridges in the magazine with the gun level and snapping the door closed, the cartridges did right them selves and no rim lock occurred. The process is unseen and I can not explain why it happens.  With windows into the magazine and high speed cameras maybe you could understand what was going on in that dark place. Without the technology to understand what is happening, it is sort of like magic.

Parashooter's  drawing pretty much explains it with original length cartridges. With shorter ones who knows.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Interesting. At one point while playing with one of Paul's chargers I was getting them to lock with 150grFMJBTs at an OAL of 3.03".  At the short length the rim of the second round in the loaded charger would move ahead of the rim of the bottom round.  Occasionally, that position would carry over as the rounds went across the magazine and bang, it was stuck.  But more often they would self align on their way across.  A little tweaking on the charger got them at an angle that #2 didn't jump forward anymore.  Always that first round, I don't think any below it in the magazine were entangled.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint