Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Problem with side plate (Read 4350 times)
Jeremyf
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Problem with side plate
Oct 20th, 2018 at 5:34am
Print Post  
Hello everyone. I have a model 1895 Krag and I can’t get the side plate to fully set into the groove so it sits flush against the reciever. I tried tapping it to get it to sit flush but the tab on the side plate seems to not want to go into the slot in the reciever. I cant get the screw holes to line up. Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I can supply pics if needed. Thank you !

Jeremy F
IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Problem with side plate
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 7:07am
Print Post  
Welcome 'Jeremy' to the KCA Forum.

Maybe the side-plate you have is for a model 1898 Krag?

A model 1898 side-plate will not fit on a model 1892 or model 1896 action, because the front tendon is thicker.

If your action is dated "1895", it is likely either a model 1892 rifle or a model 1896 carbine.

The model 1892, model 1896, and model 1898/1899 actions all had different side-plates.

Photo shows front edge of model 1896 (left) and thicker model 1898 side-plates; the model 1898 & 1899 actions have a wider 'slot' to accept the front-tendon.

IP Logged

Jeremyf
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Butlersrangers. Thank you so much for the reply. This makes perfect sense why the side plate i have won’t fit. Do you happen to have a model 1892 side plate you’d be willing to sell ?

Jeremy F
IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
'Jeremy' - in the KCA 'classifieds' there are three vendors listed that could help you out.

There is also a company called "S&S Firearms", (Glendale, N.Y.), that sells parts and you can 'google' search and view their catalog online.

With your "model 1895" description, I am not totally sure of what Krag model you have. If you could post some 'close-up' pictures, a KCA member would be happy to give you feed-back.

Also, your serial number, if you are comfortable sharing it, would likely reveal what model Krag you have.

Springfield Armory did not start making model 1892 Krag rifles until 1894. The rifles were dated by year of manufacture, (1894 & 1895).

In 1895 Springfield began manufacture of model 1896 carbines, but, they were simply marked "1895".

IP Logged

Jeremyf
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 1:57am
Print Post  
For some reason i'm getting an error message when i try to post pics. The serial number is 77756

Jeremy F
IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 5:24am
Print Post  
'Jeremy' - Possibly, the pictures you are trying to post have too many pixels. The maximum photo attachment size on the KCA Forum is 768 KB.

Is your Krag a carbine (22 inch barrel) or a rifle (30 inch barrel)?

Your serial number, 77756, has both model 1896 carbines and model 1896 rifles near it.

Krag, #77756, would have been assembled at Springfield around October, 1897.

I'm a little confused by your mention of "1895" in your original post. Would you double check and see, if your receiver is possibly stamped, "model 1896"? (IMHO - That's the only thing that would make sense).

Springfield Armory only marked receivers "1895", if they were made in that year. Such Krags are not stamped "model 1895". 
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2018 at 1:00pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Jeremyf
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
After looking closer it’s a model 1896. It’s def a carbine with a 22” barrel. The pics I’m trying to post are from my phone and are too large. I’ll get pics with my digital camera.

Jeremy F
IP Logged

Jeremyf
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Pic of model number

Jeremy F
IP Logged

Jeremyf
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Sorry about the size. Here a few more

Jeremy F
IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
'Jeremy' - Appears you have a model 1896 carbine.

Grandpa's Gun Parts in the KCA 'classifieds' has a couple of 1896 side-plates in his listings: one in poor condition @ $10 and one in good condition @ $25.

BTW - The screw for the side-plate on your Krag is not correct. The right one is not hard to locate through vendors.

In case you don't know. It is normally necessary to take the action out of the stock in order to install a Krag 'side-plate'. This is because of the fit of the wood in the side-plate area.

Grandpa's Gun Parts has original model 1896 'saddle-ring & bar' assembly, which is missing  from your stock.
Also, your barrel-band with the sling-swivel is a rifle band. The 1896 carbine-band has no swivel and 'built in ears' to protect the rear-sight.

More detailed pictures of your front and rear sights, any stock markings, the bolt-handle area, and tip of the forearm, will beget better advice and guidance.
(Krag carbine parts are expensive, so it is important to have good guidance).

Model 1896 Krag carbines are a desirable model to own!

Visit the KCA 'Website' by 'mouse clicking' on the crossed rifles at the top of this page. 'Click' on the Tab - "photos". You will find some good carbine information.

Photos: 1896 carbine barrel-band, '96 saddle-ring & bar, and side-view of carbine.

IP Logged

Jeremyf
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Thank you for all the great info. I really appreciate it. Have you ever shot one of these? How are the Remington 30-40 Krag rounds?

Jeremy F
IP Logged

boomer
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Jeremyf wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 10:12pm:
....  How are the Remington 30-40 Krag rounds?

I've gone through a couple of boxes of them this summer with no problems.

Nice looking rifle.

IP Logged

Jeremyf
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 12:41am
Print Post  
Here are a few more pics. The cartouche is extremely worn but kinda readable. It has initials with a date of 1897

Jeremy F
IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 2:15am
Print Post  
"Jeremy" - You have a carbine barrel and correct 1896 carbine sights. Your action's serial number is in a 'known carbine range'.

It would be to your advantage to patiently acquire a correct saddle-ring & bar and an 1896 carbine barrel-band. (These parts in condition, comparable to the rest of your carbine, would cost about $200).

Look for parts that have some 'experience' and match the outward condition of the rest of your carbine's metal.

FWIW - Your carbine's rear-sight alone is worth around $500.

If fully completed with correct original parts, your carbine would likely be worth approximately $1,000 to $1,300. 

We haven't seen the ends of your stock. Hopefully, your bore is in nice condition and no one added a butt sling-swivel or altered the butt or forearm of the stock.

BTW - Don't 'refinish' anything or you will harm the carbine's value! You (and other collectors) want an honest carbine showing its age and patina.

Your stock, with its 1897 "Acceptance Cartouche", is likely original to your carbine. The 'Script' letters are "J.S.A.", for Joseph Sumner Adams, Foreman of the assembly room at Springfield Armory. The cartouche was applied to the stock when the arm was inspected and accepted for U.S. service.

p.s. - I don't have a model 1896 carbine, (yet). The Remington factory ammo has always been accurate in Krag rifles and carbines, that I fired it in. Smiley

IP Logged

Jeremyf
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 2:29am
Print Post  
Here’s a few photos of the butt end of the stock. It doesn’t appear to have been altered in any way. The butt end is missing the original butt plate. It was covered by a DYI brass plate. I’m currently bidding on one on eBay. The stock has the space for the cleaning rods and the Oiler which I will eventually get. The foregrip doesn’t appear to be altered either.

Jeremy F
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint