10 Peep sights (Read 5959 times)
boomer
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Peep sights
Reply #15 - Oct 24th, 2018 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
Jim,
Welcome to the forum!  A have a Krag sporter that is equipped with a Pacific K1 sight.  The sight is a good choice.  I've got a problem with some notched sights also ... using this peep sight is a pleasure.

IP Logged

Joe L.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
On my 98 Carbine is a peep flip up sight mounted on the back of the original sight. It looks original because a very close pro writer for a great gun mag. has one exactly like mine and mine and his are the same military sights and his is a trapdoor carbine made about the same time in 1898. To be honest, I've been trying to find out anything on these sights and even my friend Pete comes up blank, Why, I have no idea!! I have 2 Krags, a 98 rifle and a 98 carbine and a 1902 bayonet all 3 in amazing shape. New to THIS site but was member back in 2011 with a envelope from William Butts and my membership receipt, drifted away due to other weapons in my collection needing research a never ending quest!    Joe L.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
"Joe L." - Welcome back to the KCA Forum.

The "flip-up Peep", that you mention being present on your model 1898 Krag carbine, is found on most Krag model 1902 rear-sights.

The feature was also found on the first type of rear-sight that was used on the "Rod-Bayonet" model 1903 Springfield Rifle.

This sight is described in Mallory's, Brophy's, and Joe Poyer's books on the Krag.

Per Franklin Mallory, ("The Krag Rifle Story", 2nd. edition, page 130):

".... There are two basic models of the 1902 sight, the second differing from the first by addition of a sliding peep aperture. This device was commonly called a "Sergeant Peep", which was a misnomer because it was used by privates as well as sergeants. It was designed by Springfield Armory's veteran marksman, F. R. Bull. Few Model 1902 sights were issued without the peep plate".

IMHO - Although the 'peep plate' is quite common on Model 1902 Krag sights and the early (and discarded) rear-sight for the Model 1903 Springfield, I have never seen one on a 'Trap-Door' Springfield.
(My hunch is that it is likely some craftsman's 'innovation' and not official Springfield Armory work).

Attached photos: 1. 1902 'peep plate', 2. Graphic from early 1903 Springfield Manual. 

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
In my humble opinion, the Sgt. Peep is a wonderful addition to the 1902 sight, which is my favorite of the Krag rear sights.  The peep is approximately 0.04 in diameter, which is painfully small considering the relief from ones eye.  However, per CMP rules, you can enlarge this peep for competition use.  You can go about 0.07 before you're in danger of running out of metal to drill... but that makes a world of difference!!!  I've actually built my plate up slightly using JB Weld, and enlarged to 0.1 for match shooting.  This gives me an excellent sight picture!

IP Logged

Joe L.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Thanks people for the peep sight info.I have 4 Trapdoors and one is a rod bayonet rifle but 3 have Buffington sights which could not fix this sight, the 4th is a officer 1873 model with a tang sight. All 4 are 45-70 and the other rifle ( I have 2 rifles, a carbine these three are 1884, and as said the officer model is 1873 ). I 'm sorry about wandering away from my Krags and the issues with them, but the military in that time period were all in the same ball park. I have a pic my close friend now in Arizona sent me about his sported trapdoor, and the sight is the same as my Krag. I'm really glad I've found the way back to this group of people, for I've been involved with some other sites  but KRAGGERS are great, no doubt about it!!! I've been collector for 40 plus years and it never gets stale, for I collect many, many, different makes and models for they all need a good protective home!!!  Joe L.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
If a model 1873 'trap-door' Springfield has a model 1902 Krag rear-sight on it, I am sure someone has been tinkering!

However, the first type of 1903 Springfield, ('rod-bayonet' model in .30-03 cal.), did have a rear-sight modeled after the 1902 rear-sight (for the Krag).

In fact, many of the surplus parts from the discontinued (early 1903 Springfield) rear-sight were used at armories to repair damaged Krag sights.
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2018 at 12:44pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Jim3040
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Nov 12th, 2018 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Found a pretty good Rice peep, trouble is, had to get the gun it was mounted on, too!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Nov 12th, 2018 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Now you're learning!  Cheesy

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
I liked the Rice sights, when I could still see the front sight!  I have to scope my Krags to see their true accuracy potential.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint