Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
trying to learn about a krag I inherited (Read 2492 times)
MattNC
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

trying to learn about a krag I inherited
Oct 25th, 2018 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Hi All -

First thanks for this great forum.  I've been around firearms my whole life but fairly new to Krag's and been trying to read around here and learn about one I recently inherited.  I'll post a few pictures I have so far.  My uncle thought it had been modified but so far just the rear sight looks suspect to me.  Open to comments, thoughts and opinions. 

The serial number is 128059.  Looks in pretty good working condition and was used as a hunting rifle by a great uncle back in the 40's and 50's then just was oiled and maintained after that.  The bore looked pretty good as well.

Thanks

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: trying to learn about a krag I inherited
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the forum.
Your uncle was right it has been modified for hunting. Both the front and back sights have been changed.
I would guess it was not a original carbine but shortened by whoever did the sights. The better informed members will be able to give you more details.
A good smooth hunting rifle can be a thing of joy so being modified is not all bad.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the forum.  You have made a very wise choice coming here.

There is no hit in The Krag Rifle Story by Mallory.  The serial number is in the 1898 rifle range.  Soooooo.  The not-good news is, quite obvious, your gun is a cutdown rifle.

The good news is it is yours!  WooHoo!! Cheesy  Get some ammo and have a blast.

The other guys will be along to Oooo and Ahhhh over it soon enough.

Captain Culpeper of the KCA Irregulars and Grand Poobah of the Majestic and Right Honorable Shrine of the Holy Krag.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Nice looking/maintained sporter. Can't tell by the pictures, there doesn't appear to be an external barrel band around the stock. It may have a hidden band that goes between the barrel and stock. If you haven't, just need to make sure there is a method holding the forestock to the barrel.

Enjoy, lots of knowledge at this forum and a lot of willingness to answer any question.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 4:00am
Print Post  
'MattNC' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

It looks like you have a nice 'old family deer rifle'.

You can have a lot of fun, shooting & hunting, with a Krag like that. Many of us started our Krag interest with 'cut-down' rifles like yours.

I enjoy them and consider nicely 'sportered' Krags a legitimate part of Krag collecting.

Its getting near November 15th - "Opener" in Michigan. (Unfortunately, no Krag in this 'hunting cabin' interior photo of relatives).

IP Logged

MattNC
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Thank you all for the great info and responses.  I am sure that is way more than I had learned on my own.  I was not sure about the carbine vs cutdown question as the serial number seemed early but the sights had certainly changed.  The bore looked very clean and "factory" looking so it must have been done by somebody who knew what they were doing. 

This gun came from Michigan as well and was used for many years hunting there.  I have a box of ammo for it and will give it a try soon.  Was out at the range last night with a stainless 1911 national match from the same collection and a muzzle loader I was checking for zero.  Fun times. 

Here are some more pictures of the krag.

Matt

IP Logged

MattNC
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Two more...

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
'MattNC' - Your Krag was assembled at Springfield Armory around September, 1898.
The Stock marking, "J.S.A. 1898" is the 'acceptance cartouche' and agrees nicely with the probable manufacture of your rifle. (Joseph Sumner Adams was the Foreman of the Assembly Room and his initials appear on the majority of U.S. Krags).

Your Krag has real nice color on its metal parts and the 'cut-down' stock is likely the original wood.
It seems like Krags, that people 'cut-down', often have very nice bores. (Who, in the old days, was going to bother putting work and effort into a rifle with a rough bore)?

'Knute1' is correct in 'advising that the barrel be held down' in its channel in the forearm.
The Krag trigger-guard screws are very close together. If there is no barrel-band or forearm screw anchoring the barrel to the stock, upon firing the Krag barrel torques upward, putting a lot of stress on the wood behind the magazine opening.

(If a band or screw is lacking, an easy 'temporary fix' is to put some tight wraps of 'blue masking-tape' around the stock and barrel for Range Sessions).

Your Krag has had its "magazine cut-off lever" removed. (This is a sort of switch, which allows the Krag to be changed from 'single-shot' to 'magazine-fed' rifle).
This is not an essential part, but, its lack can add roughness to cartridge feeding.
This is a common part that sells for about $20 at gun shows and on Ebay. The model 1898 version is about 2 inches long; the shortest of the U.S. cut-offs.

p.s. If you haven't already done so, "click" on the cross-rifle logo at the top of this page, that will take you to the KCA Web Page. All kinds of interesting stuff accessible there, especially via the 'photo tab'.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2018 at 6:31pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

MattNC
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Thank you so much for such valuable information and advice!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint