Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 1898 Ser # 104862 with 24 inch Barrel (Read 3511 times)
Newt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1898 Ser # 104862 with 24 inch Barrel
Nov 20th, 2018 at 12:01am
Print Post  
I have a barreled action as described in the subject line, no stock, no metal parts except for the trigger guard. No sights.   Receiver is complete with bolt and all magazine parts.  The barrel O.D. is .635" at the muzzle.  Muzzle is crowned.  It is tapped for a rear sight, but no provision at all for a front sight. 

Seems to function just like it should, though I haven't tried to run any dummy rounds through it.  Local gun store got it in as part of an estate sale several years ago, and I picked it up for a song.

I suspect it began life as a 30 inch rifle, and I would sincerely appreciate any information that any of you guys have the time and inclination to pass on.  I'd like to stock it and shoot it (I have and shoot 7 milsurp bolt actions from around the globe) if I can find the parts.

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1898 Ser # 104862 with 24 inch Barrel
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 3:18am
Print Post  
Looks like your rifle was originally produced in early July of 1898 when production was ramped up for the Spanish American War. Check your barrel for any markings. It is probably a shortened original barrel from 30" as you suspect. But it could also be a replacement. Some 1903 Springfield barrels (24" long) were used in some rifles' later life as a replacement. And there are other possibilities.

You will get more responses than this. Just though I'd kick it off.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 4:00am
Print Post  
That sn is deep in the middle of the 1896 range according to The Krag Rifle Story by Mallory.

Check the receiver again under good light.  The stamps weren't the greatest at the time and sixes could be mushed to look like eights.  The best way to tell is compare receivers between 1896s and 98s.  Look at where the bolt locks down on the receiver.

go here for knowledge.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Oh and welcome to the forum, brother.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Newt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 4:45am
Print Post  
Thanks much, guys.  I will check that 8 and compare it to the photos.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 5:39am
Print Post  
"Newt" - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

As others have mentioned, U.S. Krag, #104862, should be a U. S. model 1896 rifle assembled around May, 1898.

Often, the "model 1896" marking is mistaken for 1898, because it is deeply stamped.

The model 1896 and model 1898 actions have some differences in how they were machined, especially at the 'notch' for the bolt-handle.

A model 1896 action will not fit into a model 1898 Stock, unless some inletting is done in the bolt-handle 'notch' area.

Attached photos: #9639 - model 1896 action. #9208 - model 1898 action. #9140 - "P" proof found on Krag barrel. #9141 "P" and barrel index mark found on front edge of receiver.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2018 at 7:14pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Newt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Man, am I glad I joined this group.  It is for sure a Model 1896.  I still wasn't sure, but my wife says it is definitely a 6.  It has the index mark on the receiver, but no corresponding mark on the barrel. Also I can't see a P on the barrel, though the barrel has been buffed some.  The receiver has not been buffed.  Next to the index mark there is something that might be a P, but if so, it was struck worse than the Model number.  Smiley

So maybe it is a 1903 barrel.  Anyhow, I am infinitely wiser about this rifle than I was yesterday.  Thanks again to all of you for the great information and great photos.

Newt

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Chances are it is a cut barrel with a surplus 1903 front sight thrown on it.  Very common.  I have a couple just like that.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
'Newt' - I am not sure about the origin of your barrel, (or if the diameter was altered).

FWIW:
A Krag rifle barrel diameter would measure approx. .645" @ 24 inches from the 'closed' bolt-face.

My 1903 Springfield's barrel measures .620" diameter at the muzzle, (ahead of the front-sight band), and .647" behind the sight band.

Other clues regarding a Krag barrel are the spacing of the rear-sight screw-holes, (all U. S. Krag barrels & rear-sights use the same location and spacing), and the rendering of the 'notch' at the barrel breech for the extractor-'claw'.

Some photos that might help:

IP Logged

Newt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
My screw holes are much closer to the receiver than those in your photo.  The distance between them is the same, but the first one is about 5/8 inch from the receiver, the second one is 3 inches.  The extractor notch looks like your picture to me, but I could be missing something.  Thanks.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Quote "The distance between them is the same, but the first one is about 5/8 inch from the receiver, the second one is 3 inches."

Makes me think the barrel was set back about 2 inches. That would have take the usual factory marks out. If done correctly it could be safe and shoot good. You will not be able to use a original hand guard with that barrel, might be a candidate for a sporter type stock and make a deer rifle out of it.
The smooth Krag action will make a sporter that you will really enjoy if you plan on keeping it and passing it down in the family, the only down side is it will not ever sell for the money that you put into it.

EDIT
Just for meanness check and see if you have a plugged hole for the rear sight. I just checked an old barrel and the close screw hole was where you described but it was added by a gunsmith or Bubba to move the sight back. The original forward hole is plugged on mine. Even if you have a forward hole plugged by an expert there should be tell tale signs.
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2018 at 5:11pm by FredC »  

IP Logged

Newt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
I can see something on the barrel in the vicinity of where a plugged hole would be, so that just might be what happened.  But I can't tell if that's what it is or if it's just a buffed rusty spot.

I think I will get some cartridges and remote fire it.  If it feeds and fires and the brass comes out looking okay, I'll start looking for parts and try to find out how much it will cost me to get it shooting and decide if I want to do it. 

Thanks once again for all the help.  You guys are top shelf.

Newt

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint