Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Building a sported and need a barrel band (Read 2480 times)
Old Soldier
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Building a sported and need a barrel band
Nov 26th, 2018 at 2:31am
Print Post  
I have a 98 action with a 24" 03 barrel on it. I also have a sporter stock I want to put it into. When this mod was common, it was SOP to have a band that went around the barrel, with a threaded female rectangle on the bottom of the band that excepted the forward action screw. I need one of those bands. Please let me know if you have one or know where to get one.

Also: When the chamber was changed from 30-06 to 30-40 it left a ring about 1/3rd the way up from the rim. After I fire a round, I see the ring on the brass. The mark stays after I resize the brass. It seems that the chamber is just a little bigger at the base than a standard 30-40 should be. But like I said it does not size out. Whaddya say? Am I asking for a head separation if I keep using the brass? Should I just neck size the brass and be happy? Is  this common when going from an 06 to a 30-40?

" Should it come to war... we shall place our trust in God and our Long Rifles" Continental Congress

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Building a sported and need a barrel band
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Can not help on the 30/40  06 conversion, other than thinking the barrel should have been set back before reaming the chamber.

Does part you are looking for look like the one in attached photo? if so it maybe your barrel band was originally made for a 340 Savage rifle. I made an experimental conversion for another member's Krag. Instead of tapping for the savage 1/4-28 screw we did the 10-32 on the vice. If this is what you are needing I can make some more.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
You probably want to solve the 'chamber question' before putting too many resources into this 1903 barrel.

FWIW - I use to have a Krag that was sportered by Sedgley. Its barrel was a 1905 Springfield Armory barrel, that was originally chambered in .30-03.

Sedgley shortened the barrel slightly at the breech end, re-chambered it for .30-40, and crudely 'notched' the breech for the extractor claw. The date, S.A., and 'Ordnance Bomb' ended up on the bottom, instead of on top of the barrel.
The chamber on this 'reused' barrel accepted factory ammo without problem. It was gentle on Brass and was the tightest of my Krag chambers.

IP Logged

Old Soldier
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
The part I need, needs to wrap around the barrel, then screw into the fore stock. This used to be quite common. Is not done much anymore. Guess I'll have to make one. Thanks,

" Should it come to war... we shall place our trust in God and our Long Rifles" Continental Congress

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 1:25am
Print Post  
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Check out this thread on barrel bands.

IP Logged

Ken M
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2019 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
I do not know if this will help. I found a place you may want to check out for your part.

Unfortunately this forum will not allow me to post the link, yet. Will put link in the next post.

IP Logged

Ken M
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jan 5th, 2019 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Here is the link for the website on your barrel band.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint