Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Slings (Read 4407 times)
Andylit
KCA Forum Member

Krag Newcomer

Slings
Nov 27th, 2018 at 4:06am
Print Post  
I've been doing some digging and reading and have come to what I think are accurate conclusions....but, its always better to ask.

It looks to me like either of 2 slings are correct for a Krag.The 1887 Trapdoor sling at about 60", and later on, the shorter M1903 sling for the 1903 Springfield.

And the web sling.

Which do you all prefer? For use, for period correctness, and for any other reasons you can offer.

What do you think of the slings we see all over ebay for $15-$20? Any experience with quality?

Do you have US vendors who make a better product?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Slings
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 5:03am
Print Post  
For period correctness, the 1887 style sling in 64 1/2 inch length, is the type most seen in photographs. It is basically a carry strap and not really designed as a shooting sling.

Around 1903, it was being improvised for position shooting, by threading it through the barrel-band swivel and attaching it to the front 'Stacking' swivel.

Many of the reproduction model 1887 slings are being made 70 to 72 inches long. They may work on a 'trapdoor' Springfield, but, are too long for use on a Krag. They are too long to make them taught on a Krag.

I have gotten a couple of 64 inch repros on ebay. It is kind of luck of the draw. They aren't too bad once they are made more pliable with leather dressing and stop smelling bad.

Strangely, as a shooting aid on 'trapdoors' and Krags, the model 1887 sling was used with the shooter's foot in the old "back position".

The Krag 'web slings' were pretty much an experiment, around 1902, and proved unsatisfactory. I don't think I've seen a picture of one in use.

The 1907 Sling was developed for the 1903 Springfield, both for carry and as an aid for position shooting. It is used by most of the guys who are shooting the Krag in competition.

There are probably decent replicas of the 1907 sling on ebay.

Original slings of all types have gotten expensive and often have age cracks.

New Model 1907 Slings made by Turner Sling are highly regarded and probably entail a wait.

FWIW - I don't leave slings on rifles. It is not good for the leather or for the metal.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Hi Andylit,

Original slings have increased in cost lately.  Most that I've seen have been selling in the $80 to $100+ range.

Here's some pics of reasonably priced reproduction slings that I've purchased off of EBay (One is an 1887 type and the other a web).

I purchased them from the sellers listed below:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

So far I've had very good buying experiences with these sellers who provide descent quality goods and fast shipping.

Kind of a stretch, but you could also purchase an original or reproduction NobuckL sling.  After we entered WWI the NobuckL sling was used with Krags for training purposes only.

The Remington 1917 on the left has a NobuckL sling attached.

They can be readily found on EBay as well.

If you already haven't done so... click on the crossed rifles at the upper right of this page which will take you to the KCA intro page.  Hit refresh until you get to an impressive rack of various Krags with an assortment of slings attached.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Local Boy - What is the length on the "What Price Glory" m-1887 sling?

Your picture of the Krag web sling replica kind of reveals the 'original sin' of the design. The Mills end 'hooks' were made too narrow on the original 'Krag' design and caused the strap to curl. (The British got it right on their long serving Mills Web slings).

FWIW - 1917 photo of 12th U. S. Engineers in London with Krags shows them using model 1887 slings of appropriate length for Krag.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
The m-1887 is about 3.5 inches longer than it should be by measuring approximately 73 x 1.25 inches.

The web sling is 2 inches under length by measuring approximately 59 x 1.25 inches.

I've read that the web slings were not very well received because they would curl when wet.  Caused the sling to become essentially a cord of rope which made slinging a rifle around very uncomfortable.

I sure do like the British web sling design... Easy to use and dependable.  I've always wondered why more military forces around the world didn't adopt the sling for their own rifles?

Best of all is there are many to be had and at reasonable prices!  At least for the time being.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
By experiment, I found the Lee-Enfield (Mills) web sling will work quite well on a Krag.
Of course, I did not subject it to the trials of campaigning in the Philippines.

The British web sling is practical, inexpensive, and can serve as a 'shooting sling', as well as, a 'carry strap'.

Unfortunately, the U.S. Mills web sling, IMHO, was just plain 'goofy'. (Because of its narrow 'hooks', your sling appears a bit curled, even though it is dry).

BTW - The leather m-1887 sling intended for the Krag really appears to be in the neighborhood of 64 1/2 inches in total length.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
If you're looking to shoot in competition, Turner slings ARE the best!!!  Do not use an original sling for position shooting, the stress will probably damage the sling.  If you are just looking for a sling for display purposes, you can get an original, or Turner offers an 1887 reproduction too.  Richard Turner purchased all of the sling equipment from Rock Island Arsenal, so his slings are made on the actual RIA equipment too!

Web slings such as used on the Garand are legal for shooting in vintage competitions also, and you can order one from the CMP for about ten dollars!!!

On the subject of slings, why is it that people always post pictures of their rifles (not just Krags either) with the slings all loose?  Unless shooting in position (prone, sitting or kneeling), you don't need a sling.  Yet, I always see rifles sitting on a shooting bench with the sling loose.  Tighten those suckers up!!!

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Aye, Aye Skipper!!!

I'll make sure those slings are ship shape and as tight as a drum before I post any more pictures on KCA.

Actually, I usually tighten then up but I had just finished fondling my toys and forgot to put them back in inspection order. Huh

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Actually, I wasn't really talking about the slings in the above pictures, LOL I see these guys posting pictures on FB, and their slings are always looser than snot... like they were just carrying the rifles slung and dropped them on the bench.  Unless I'm in position, my slings remain stowed (do they call that parade?).

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Yes sir... I believe "Parade" and "Carry" were the two sling carry options.

I found this M1887 installation PDF on the WWW put out by a fellow named Jason Lane (aka noddaduma).

Very informative and easy to follow.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Dec 8th, 2018 at 2:33am
Print Post  
Here is an extensive article titled "The Use of the Gun Sling" from the 1/1/1906 "Journal of the United States Infantry Association". It has seven pictures with the Krag rifle wearing the sling of that period. It even has a comment from 2nd Lieutenant Townsend Whelen of the 30th Infantry.
Scroll down on this website just a little more than half way and find page 30.

LqoLmbUR5cC&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjX9Mvd4ozfAhWidt8KHZHDA1IQ6AEILTAB#v=onepage&q
&f=false

IP Logged

Fred G.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
A sling made in 1903 and stamped with that year is on my 1896 Krag. It’s perfect for a Krag Rifle.

IP Logged

Fred G.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 8:08pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Fred G.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 8:09pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Fred G.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 8:10pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint